Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query re: moving from UK to Ireland

Options
  • 21-05-2012 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

I will be ring Citizens Info later on but was just wondering if anyone could give me an indication re: my query.

Myself and my OH lived in the UK for 9 years and I moved back in Oct 2011 with the children, as I was homesick. OH has continued to commute back and forth every week.

This is not really working out financially and it is very stressful on us as a family as our 2 children are very young. I have 2 part time jobs over here & could potentially increase to full time.

My query is this: If OH were to quit his job over in the UK could he claim anything over here. We are both Irish. He would be highly likely to get contract work, and it wouldn't be his intention to claim JSB for any long periods of time, but just in case he was waiting a few months, it would really help us financially.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

leelee77 wrote: »
    I will be ring Citizens Info later on but was just wondering if anyone could give me an indication re: my query.

Myself and my OH lived in the UK for 9 years and I moved back in Oct 2011 with the children, as I was homesick. OH has continued to commute back and forth every week.

This is not really working out financially and it is very stressful on us as a family as our 2 children are very young. I have 2 part time jobs over here & could potentially increase to full time.

My query is this: If OH were to quit his job over in the UK could he claim anything over here. We are both Irish. He would be highly likely to get contract work, and it wouldn't be his intention to claim JSB for any long periods of time, but just in case he was waiting a few months, it would really help us financially.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

He can apply for jobseekers allowance which is a means tested payment any earnings you have from employment will be assessed as means. Any capital >€20,000 is also assessed. He will also have to meet habitual residency criteria.

Have you looked into applying for family income supplement?
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW22/Pages/1WhatisFamilyIncomeSupplement.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

If you are working here and your husband is no longer working, then it is likely that under EU rules that he can rely on his UK social insurance record to claim Jobseekers Benefit. There may be an issue about voluntarily giving up his employment, but he could surely make the case that this was reasonable.

The EU entitlement is as a result of the Bergemann ruling of the European Court and is quite complex. It is much simpler if he manages to get even one day's work (provided he gets paid more than 38 euro), as he can then combine his social insurance record without any such complications.

But as above poster said, FIS may be better in any event.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭leelee77

Thanks for the replies. He could get 1 days work with a friend of ours in order to combine his stamps.

What I don't want to do is for him to quit and then not be able to claim anything. His intention would be to do contracts but sometimes there might be a gap in that.

Advertisement