Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bugs in fish food

Options
  • 21-05-2012 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Twice I've had problems finding live dark coloured, insects in my fish food. I use an automatic feeder, so I'm not opening the fish food container very often and I do not leave the lid off for longer than necessary.
    Also since the first time it happened I've been transferring some food from the main container to a second container for use as needed. I'm convinced that these bugs have hatched from eggs that were in the food since purchase. Has anybody had similar problems? Is it appropriate to name the brand of food here?

PS. I feed the insects to my fish without problems.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Is it dried food? I have never had that problem myself but I'd be fairly worried about that brand if there's bugs hatching from it. Although most of the bugs will be a nice juicy treat for the fish, some nasties might get into the tank next time.
    PM me the brand if you don't mind. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My money is on either dust mites or flour beetles. They get everywhere (you'll probably find them in your cupboards), but are harmless. They're about the same size (i.e. absolutely tiny), dust mites are white, flour beetles black.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

These bugs are alien to my house, I'll try to photo some later. Curiously the carton has the same batch number, and is from the same shop as the previous one that I had a problem with. Best before end of apr 2012, so I need to restock anyway

Advertisement