Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swim Ireland

Options
  • 20-05-2012 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

As said in previous posts I intent to attempt to swim across Galway Bay this year as part of the Francis Thornton Memorial Swim. I checked on registering and one of the requirements is to have a Swim Ireland Number. As I'm not a member of any swimming club so how do I get this number.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

You have to be a member of a swimming club in order to become a member of Swim Ireland and hence get a membership number.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭martin6651

That's a pain in the whatsit. I'm mainly a solo open water swimmer and have no need for a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

martin6651 wrote: »
    That's a pain in the whatsit. I'm mainly a solo open water swimmer and have no need for a club.

I know its a pain, but its for insurance purposes, Why not give Carraig Masters club a ring....Ill pm you the number....

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭martin6651

Thanks mad there is a local masters here in Galway I'll contact them, only need the number for 1 event.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

martin6651 wrote: »
    Thanks mad there is a local masters here in Galway I'll contact them, only need the number for 1 event.

Well when you register, why not do the Galway prom swim anyway....Get your moneys worth...Plus Im sure there is a few up that way....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

this annoys me too and have seen it put people off doing events.
    insurance fair enough but organisers should get it sorted such that it's insured as a stand alone and reflect that in the price rather than lazily going down the swim ireland route and putting the onus on competitors to join an association they may have no wish to join.

costs approx €250 to insure a swim regardless of distance or entries, get 50 entries and that's a fiver a head which is easily absorbed into an entry fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

promethius wrote: »
    this annoys me too and have seen it put people off doing events.
    insurance fair enough but organisers should get it sorted such that it's insured as a stand alone and reflect that in the price rather than lazily going down the swim ireland route and putting the onus on competitors to join an association they may have no wish to join.

costs approx €250 to insure a swim regardless of distance or entries, get 50 entries and that's a fiver a head which is easily absorbed into an entry fee.

How are the organisers lazily going down the Swim Ireland route? If anythying, they're adding credibility to their events by affiliating with the sport's governing body.

Advertisement