Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Four Corners of Hell

Options
  • 20-05-2012 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi, I have found five generations of my father's family history from the New Street / Kevin's Street / St. Nicholas area of Dublin dating back to the very early 1800s. Alas, so far, the trail runs out there, and I cannot go back further.

Apart from the obvious historical significance of St. Patrick's Cathedral, I would love to know more about the history of this area. Kevin Street, New Street and Patrick Street are noted on John Speed's 1610 map of Dublin. Other areas of interest are the 'Four Corners of Hell,' and the Cabbage Garden, for example. The markets here would be of interest too, and of course, the tenements, the development of the tenements, and their eventual abandonment and destruction.

Streets of particular interest are New Street, Kevin Street, Cathedral Lane, Fumbally's Lane and New Row Cottages.

Basically, I suppose, I would like to get a feel for what life was like for ordinary Dubliners living in this lively, congested and historic district, scraping a living in the markets and the local businesses, and living with the poverty and squalor in the 1800s and early 1900s. There are books that give great general insight into this subject, but I wondered what else I might discover here on Boards, particular to this area, and see what discussion emerges.

Were there any notable people from the area? What sources of photographs are there? Is there any history connected to individual houses in the area, including those now long demolished?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

The local area was referred to as 'Hell' and the 'four corners' bit was a common description for the crossroads at Kevin St. Each corner contained a pub and I think that's where it entered folklore. None of the pubs remain standing, and indeed, due to road-widening, none of the corners do either (with possible exception being the site currently occupied by the now closed Nash's Pub)

The Dublin.ie forums used to be a great resource for stuff like this, but it seems it has been closed down recently, which is a huge pity. However, the forum is archived currently and I reckon you'll find a good bit of info there and maybe get contact details for some of the posters and historians. Also, try Archiseek for info, easily the best site for civic and architectural history around.

keep posting your finding here if possible, always interested in that area of town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Also, try Archiseek for info, easily the best site for civic and architectural history around.

+1.
    I'm a regular viewer over there, a fantastic and enjoyable resource. I wonder how many historians have really crappy & unhistorical windows in their homes.......The thread on 'windows' showing the history of cylinder, crown & plate glass, & window styles should be mandatory reading for anyone doing up a house. Read GrahamH's posts on the topic http://www.archiseek.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3267&p=50174&hilit=crown+cylinder#p50174

Advertisement