Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a two day hike on the Wicklow Way

Options
  • 20-05-2012 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hiya,

I'm currently on a quest to put together a hike starting Tuesday and ending, at the latest, Thursday evening. We are starting (and need to end up in) Dublin, and will be using public transportation to get to our start (and ending) points. Can any of you suggest a scenic portion of the WW to hike that would be accessible enough to accommodate these needs?

Thanks!
    -Forrest

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Moved from Nature & Birdwatching

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

trees91 wrote: »
    Hiya,

I'm currently on a quest to put together a hike starting Tuesday and ending, at the latest, Thursday evening. We are starting (and need to end up in) Dublin, and will be using public transportation to get to our start (and ending) points. Can any of you suggest a scenic portion of the WW to hike that would be accessible enough to accommodate these needs?

Thanks!
    -Forrest
    Tuesday: Marlay Park to Knockree. Stay at the youth hostel.

Wednesday: Knockree to either Oldbridge or Roundwood. Roundwood adds about 30-40 minutes to the walk but is a better bet than Oldbridge as there are more accommodation options as well as pubs and restaurants.

Thursday: Oldbridge/Roundwood to Glendalough. Start early so you have time to have a look around Glendalough. St Kevin's Bus home to Dublin at 4:30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Judge posted exactly what I would have said.

If you are happy to move off the Wicklow Way, you could get a bus to Blessington or Baltinglass and hike east so you finish in Marley Park or Enniskerry. My own advice would be to aim to finish in Marley Park as it's a much more frequent bus service ie, you not either hanging around ages waiting for a bus or breaking you balls trying to make it to the bus on time.

I've just seen the dates and thought this was for next week! Hope it went well, weather was pretty nice for it

Advertisement