Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Grammar Videos on YouTube

Options
  • 20-05-2012 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Dia Dhaoibh :)

I am planning to create a YouTube channel during this summer consisting of an entire series of complete Irish grammar, and also a series of misheard-lyrics videos for Irish [since neither really exist there currently]. I'm just wondering how to structure it; I'm planning on creating the series similar to a vlog in Irish, with closed-caption subtitles with srt files in English and Irish; and overlays for pronunciation or etc. What would you guys suggest? I have created notes in pdf form with about 35 chapters, so I was thinking about a topic per video, and multiple parts if necessary :)

Also, any suggestions for a channel name? I'm thinking of random names, but none fit the type of channel :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

An Cainéal Gaelach ? (what dialect would it be in? Hopefully you would give examples of all of them, making sure we know which one's which)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

Hey Franc :)

I speak the Munster dialect of Irish, but I have some Connaught influences on the way I speak; I'm fully bilingual from a young age :)
    I don't have much experience with Ulster Irish, I'm afraid; I'm going to try to stick to the standard, and general Gaeltacht grammar too [like the relative pronoun "a bheas" instead of "a bheadh", but the standard will be stressed] :)

Dia dhuit, a chara
    Is foghlaimeoir is tosaitheoir uafàsach mé, ach is breà liom an canùint na Mumhan (Corca Dhuibhne). Is Albanach mé, ach tàim i mo chonai sa Fhrainc - agus is gach uile i mo mhuintir Francach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

earwax_man wrote: »
    like the relative pronoun "a bheas" instead of "a bheadh", but the standard will be stressed :)
    Just to help, it's the relative form of the verb and "a bheas" is used in place of "a bheidh".

Oops, sorry, my head wasn't on the ball at all there. D:

• Advertisement

bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

earwax_man wrote: »
    bump

I think that one of the main issues in learning a language can be the terms like relative pronouns, reflexive verbs the genative case etc. the fact is that any people dont know what these terms mean in English so talking about them in another language can cause problems.

I think a good starting point is to address this as to assume full knowledge would be unwise imo.

If learners of any subject or language do not have a certain amount of prerequisite knowledge they will never fully grasp a topic. a good foundation is needed.

i think this is a great idea. look forward using it.

On another forum I've posted up several sites that I've found here and there, where you can watch various educational videos in Irish, only to be told that the accent isn't authentic enough. So obviously that is something that needs to be taken into consideration. What would be nice is to have a transcript of the spoken Irish together with a translation that closely follows the original plus some annotations explaning how it functions - for instance if it's in a particular dialect and so on. What I really miss, is that you can no longer access on line the Abair Leat moodles and even more especially the song book - you turned the pages and then you could press the buttons to hear each verse and chorus - and the girl's singing voice was a joy to hear. 'Im bim baba ro' was beautifully sung. The other thing I think is a big opportunity missed is that RTE have put out on the RTE player - and subsequently on YouTube - some fantastic programmes in Irish. It would be marvellous to have them available on DVD with the transcriptions and the grammar and language explained.

bdoo wrote: »
    I think that one of the main issues in learning a language can be the terms like relative pronouns, reflexive verbs the genative case etc. the fact is that any people dont know what these terms mean in English so talking about them in another language can cause problems.

I think a good starting point is to address this as to assume full knowledge would be unwise imo.

If learners of any subject or language do not have a certain amount of prerequisite knowledge they will never fully grasp a topic. a good foundation is needed.

i think this is a great idea. look forward using it.

It's all in the planning! ^^ Okay, so explanation videos in English first :)
    On another forum I've posted up several sites that I've found here and there, where you can watch various educational videos in Irish, only to be told that the accent isn't authentic enough. So obviously that is something that needs to be taken into consideration. What would be nice is to have a transcript of the spoken Irish together with a translation that closely follows the original plus some annotations explaning how it functions - for instance if it's in a particular dialect and so on. What I really miss, is that you can no longer access on line the Abair Leat moodles and even more especially the song book - you turned the pages and then you could press the buttons to hear each verse and chorus - and the girl's singing voice was a joy to hear. 'Im bim baba ro' was beautifully sung. The other thing I think is a big opportunity missed is that RTE have put out on the RTE player - and subsequently on YouTube - some fantastic programmes in Irish. It would be marvellous to have them available on DVD with the transcriptions and the grammar and language explained.

I'm planning on creating subtitles with srt files, so the viewer on YouTube has the option to view with no subtitles, English, Irish, or German subtitles :)
    Obviously this is a failure of the Department of Education, so I need to make a full foundation for grammar. Grammar is my life xD

Advertisement