Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

S class 'Ute'/Pickup ?

Options
  • 20-05-2012 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭

Mad idea, out of desperation maybe, but have a W220 S class 'growing' in the garden for 5 years. Damned if I'll 'give it away' but was thinking I need a pickup ( financed by S class sale ) so why not take out the rear window and bootlid and build a fiberglass / grp 'tub' to fit in the gaps = S class pickup ala Holden/Ford 'Utes' ??? .:eek::eek::eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

You wouldn't be the first to do it. I've seen a few for sale here actually.
    mercedes-benz-e-klasse-tuner-tuning-umbau-pickup-pickup-w124-025n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

And here's an E class

e-class-pickup.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Only fly in the ointment is the 'Department' - if you do a 'conversion' you've to go to somebody who does conversions for a living to ask them to approve the conversion you haven't got them to do ! ........ :confused:

My 'plan' was to remove rear window and boot lid, get a bin that would provide the GRP 'liner' and fiberglass the gaps, also making the 'torsional rigidity' :eek::eek::eek::eek: is maintained !! The length of the bed is 2m x 1.3m wide. IF I do it photos will be posted :cool:

In Germany they simply get the TÜV (NCT/SGS) to approve the conversion - then you're legal !!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ianofitz

Theres a chap in Howth, i think its an auto clutch van, that always has an E300 pickup parked on the main street.

ianofitz wrote: »
    Theres a chap in Howth, i think its an auto clutch van, that always has an E300 pickup parked on the main street.

Will check, thanks;)

• Advertisement

Checked with local Nazis Motor Tax office, can't be reclassified without 'certificate from qualified person' .
    'Who's a Qualified person'? :(
    'Not allowed give you names sir, have to find them yourself' :P

Shot down before it got off the ground - Plan B :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Capri wrote: »
    Checked with local Nazis Motor Tax office, can't be reclassified without 'certificate from qualified person' .
    'Who's a Qualified person'? :(
    'Not allowed give you names sir, have to find them yourself' :P

Shot down before it got off the ground - Plan B :P

It just means you need to get an independent engineer to check it out after the work is done and certify that it is roadworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

hi5 wrote: »

Dear God that looks awful, i'm all for pick up conversions but that looks hideous.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

Yeah, looks like it's got exhaust stacks from a Peterbilt and a roof rack from a Landrover.

• Advertisement

Bit OTT alright - my original plan was to remove the rear window and bootlid, fabricate a waterproof 'liner' to go up to the front seat area ( wheelie bins/ bar glass bins etc could provide a strong basic structure then mould it into place with fiberglass ).
    Not sure if the rear bulkhead is a stress-bearing member but if it wasn't then I'd cut it and form a 'floor' that would cover the fuel tank and use a boat 'tub' moulded in to carry stuff in. I'd get another S class boot lid and cut it to form a 'tailgate. Both the window and bootlid could be put backk in when the S becomes valuable in 30 years time , not like the other S thats been cut beyond redemption !!!!
    Sounds a bit iffy with the wheelie bins /boat shell etc but at least I'd hope it looked good enough to feature in a mag feature :cool:

Now IF I could master 'Photoshop' :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Dear God that looks awful, i'm all for pick up conversions but that looks hideous.

I like it.:o

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement