Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Josh Barnett vs. Daniel Cormier

Options
  • 20-05-2012 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

So anybody going to watch this fight tonight? I realise there's not a huge amount of strikeforce fans here but even so the winner will be in the UFC soon!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Surprised no one has posted about this, not a great fight tbh would have preferred it to be Big foot v Barnett.

Won't stop me from watching it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Unique User Name

Good man! Me neither. Any links for watching this would be appreciated!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

More interested in the Melendez fight tbh. Across UFC/Strikeforce they've such depth at that weight I wish they'd send a few UFC fighters over to make it more competitive for Gilbert.

I'd say both of the HW GP finalists will end up in the UFC whatever happens, the Strikeforce heavyweights have stamped their mark all over the UFC since they've arrived so I doubt it'll be any different here. I think Barnett will take this but I wouldn't rule Cormier out completely.

Feels kinda sad watching this tbh, Strikeforce had gotten so good before UFC bought them out. We could have been watching Overeem/Barnett or Cormier and Diaz/Daley 2 or something on this card with a more stacked undercard.

Kurz wrote: »
    More interested in the Melendez fight tbh. Across UFC/Strikeforce they've such depth at that weight I wish they'd send a few UFC fighters over to make it more competitive for Gilbert.

I'd say both of the HW GP finalists will end up in the UFC whatever happens, the Strikeforce heavyweights have stamped their mark all over the UFC since they've arrived so I doubt it'll be any different here. I think Barnett will take this but I wouldn't rule Cormier out completely.

Feels kinda sad watching this tbh, Strikeforce had gotten so good before UFC bought them out. We could have been watching Overeem/Barnett or Cormier and Diaz/Daley 2 or something on this card with a more stacked undercard.

Apart from both fighters making it to the UFC I couldn't agree more. Dana and Barnett don't have the bestg relationship which is what makes this fight a little more interesting. Dana is gonna be under a bit of pressure to let him in if/when he wins

I didn't know that about Barnett and White, that should be interesting if Barnett takes it.

I wonder why they've made the Strikeforce cage so small now, some kind of experimental thing?

• Advertisement

Barnett failed a drugs test when he was in the UFC many moons ago, so thats were that came from. Just noticed that with the strikeforce cage tonight, would work well for Machida :D

Zwicker can fairly take punishment.

Wasn't expecting a whole lot from Inocente but wow. Hot prospect for the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭CorkonianRebel

A great fight! Zwicker had the heart but Inocente had the skill!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

****ing hell Thompson was robbed.

Had the fight: first a draw, then 2, 4, 5 to Thompson.

DC ****ing made a fool out of Barnett

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Barnett just tweeted the xray of his hand.
    Yep....something about that dont look right :eek:
    http://twitpic.com/9nc4yk

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Great event.

Melendez is a joy to watch. Had the fight 48-47 to him. Also, Cormier just gets better and better.

Judging by the belly and MOOBS on Barnett he thought he could just show up and walk this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

jayteecork wrote: »
    Judging by the belly and MOOBS on Barnett he thought he could just show up and walk this event.

He was 18lbs lighter that last fight I think. He wasn't as good as some of his other fights. Not much catch wrestling moves. DC fought well, I think both would do decent in the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Am I the only one who finds Melendez over rated?

Ush1 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who finds Melendez over rated?

And Thomson underrated.

Those leg sweeps on Melendez were sweeeeeeeeeeet.

Plus like the Diaz brothers I think Melendez is a bit of a gurrier.

No respect towards his opponent afterwards (unlike Thomson) then when he was walking out afterwards he threatened someone in the crowd who said something to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

And Thomson underrated.

Those leg sweeps on Melendez were sweeeeeeeeeeet.

Plus like the Diaz brothers I think Melendez is a bit of a gurrier.

No respect towards his opponent afterwards (unlike Thomson) then when he was walking out afterwards he threatened someone in the crowd who said something to him.

You look at his record and who has he really fought?

I can't be sure as I only watched it once but I felt Masvidal also beat him as well as Thomson. I think Nate Diaz is a top light weight and if they weren't team mates and fought that Nate would eat him alive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    He was 18lbs lighter that last fight I think. He wasn't as good as some of his other fights. Not much catch wrestling moves. DC fought well, I think both would do decent in the UFC.

I was pretty surprised by how flat Barnett seemed when I first watched it, but I guess you can put it down to his hand injury. Cormier looks like a sick wrestler though, that high crotch lift was awesome.

Will the UFC take Barnett or do they still hate him?

Maybe if he got some sort of a decent contract he could get back in shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

Back in shape? Thats pretty much how he's always looked! I think his cardio was pretty spot on too considering the beating he took for 25 minutes.

• Advertisement

Jayo_M wrote: »
    Back in shape? Thats pretty much how he's always looked! I think his cardio was pretty spot on too considering the beating he took for 25 minutes.

Maybe, but the guy had Moobs and flab hanging out over his shorts.

Can't see why a top level athlete can't be firm as ****.

Shogun looked the same coming into the Bones fight - moobs and flab. These guys just get complacent and think they just have to show "I'm a legend and Cormier/Bones is just hype"

Love watching these arrogant feckers get their asses handed to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,169 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Shogun looked the same coming into the Bones fight - moobs and flab. These guys just get complacent and think they just have to show "I'm a legend and Cormier/Bones is just hype"

I think you are being a bit harsh on Shogun

shogun-vs-jones-wide.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭p to the e

Jayo_M wrote: »

As far as i know Barnett came in about twenty pounds lighter than he usually does.

It's a bit ridiculous that the next fight for Melendez is likely to be Pat Healy. I also think it's true what someone said that it wasn't so much Melendez being overrated as it was also Thomson being vastly underrated. The guy has been in some big fights.

Advertisement