Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pricey blasts Sexton

Options
  • 20-05-2012 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,021 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone catch it? One way traffic ending in a 4th rd KO. Heavy KO shot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Needs to step up in class now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭megadodge

He's beginning to win me over.

As an amateur I always felt he was overrated, but he worked very hard at his game and ended up winning an Olympic bronze.

As a pro, he's showing a very good all-round game, nice punch variety, nice pace, good punch, good defense. The only question is his chin. It wasn't 100% in the ams, so...

He'd definitely beat Fury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

megadodge wrote: »
    He'd definitely beat Fury.

agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

He's got the kind of power that would give most heavyweights a lot of problems, never mind Fury who hasn't got the best chin either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

He would make absolute bits of that Sky Sports hypejob Fury.

But ya I'd like to see him step it up alright. Bit pointless though because Wlad is 2 levels above anyone else in the division! Could still become a decent contender though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,021 ✭✭✭✭walshb

But ya I'd like to see him step it up alright. Bit pointless though because Wlad is 2 levels above anyone else in the division! Could still become a decent contender though.

How can you be so sure he blasts Fury? Who has either man really beat to say that? At least Fury will be of equal size, will come to fight and will go out on his shield if he has to. Two big big men collide at HW, both unproven to a degreee, where can there be this certainty?

Price looked very good tonight against a man who ws 5 inches shorter and 14 lbs lighter, and who really had little to offer. You need physical size to compete with Price. Fury certainly has that. At least Fury can jab with him, and aftre this, whoever lands big will probably win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Fury is on Channel 5 :p

He is technically better than Fury for sure, hits harder aswell.

Still question marks over his heart, stamina and chin though.

I'll say this though, if he had Fury's heart he would be some fighter.

Price has lots of talent, but I wanna see his reaction when he is cracked hard on the chin. I have a feeling he will turn to mush.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,021 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Jayob10 wrote: »

Price has lots of talent, but I wanna see his reaction when he is cracked hard on the chin. I have a feeling he will turn to mush.

This is my point. Nobody knows how a big man, and possibly bigger than Price, will do against Price. Fury is his equal in size. And in HW boxing this makes for a toss up. Price is the more rounded fighter, but Fury has bags of confidence, a very good jab, and real commitment. He is not at all afraid to mix it up and go to war.

walshb wrote: »
    How can you be so sure he blasts Fury? Who has either man really beat to say that? At least Fury will be of equal size, will come to fight and will go out on his shield if he has to. Two big big men collide at HW, both unproven to a degreee, where can there be this certainty?

Price looked very good tonight against a man who ws 5 inches shorter and 14 lbs lighter, and who really had little to offer. You need physical size to compete with Price. Fury certainly has that. At least Fury can jab with him, and aftre this, whoever lands big will probably win it.

Fury can jab thats for sure, Price is most definately the harder hitter though. Fury would need far tighter defence against Price.

Of course you also have the likely scenario that Fury will tag Price and we really don't know how Price's chin will hold up to scrutiny.

Fury definately has balls, but I think he is a money making exercise, i'd fully expect him to thread water sub world level on c5 for another 18 months at least, avoiding Price and eventually Hennessy will cash his chips in and take a world title fight. But thats provided he doesn't get KO'd first.

What I like about Fury is that he himself would be willing to fight anyone. Mick Hennessy is pulling the strings though.
    I think they couldn't believe their luck when Chisora turned up to their fight in rag order, and they have been riding the crest of a wave since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

For those who haven't seen it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Pretty much this.
    Is there any footage of their amateur bout, Fury would have been very young then and was beaten 22-8 but managed to knock down Price.*

I think it would not have made sense for either fighter to risk fighting each other at the time but I am sure they will meet eventually. Then I reckon it will be a matter of who's first to get some big punches in. At the moment you would have to side slightly with Price.
    They are both talented and better than most of the contenders currently getting shots at world titles imo.

*according to wikipedia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Well he gave up the british title rather than face Price some heart that is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

He made easy work of Sexton. There's no need to rush his career. Everyone seems to be in a rush these days, pushing guys who aren't prepared onto world title fights. He should have a few more european level fights before even entertaining the idea of fighting for a world title.

He's good, and is probably England's best talent at HW right now.

barney4001 wrote: »

i'd be willing to bet that Mick Hennessy had something to do with that, a business decision with nowt to do with Fury.

Fury isn't the most talented of lads but I genuinely think he'd have the bottle to fact a Klitschko never mind David Price.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Craptacular

barney4001 wrote: »

No he didn't. Price was the mandatory challenger but wouldn't fight unless it was on Sky but Fury is contracted to Channel 5. Price was offered £100K to fight on 5 but turned it down. Neither camp denies this is what happened but somehow Price turning down the £100K offer turned into Fury dodging him. With the mandatory challenger fight off Fury had to dump his titles to get a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭clubwelly

Price's victory was impressive. It def showed more of his arsenal than his previous fights. I dunno who he'll target next but I'm sure the european belt will be an option

Advertisement