Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

minimalist hydration pack

Options
  • 19-05-2012 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Can anybody recommend a hydration pack for trail running?(one that wont' break the bank)

I'm only looking for something small,maybe up to 1 ltr capacity with just enough storage for keys/mp3 player.
    Anybody here use one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

I have this one:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/asics-lightweight-running-backpack/
    I find it great, beats carrying bottles in my hand or a bottle belt.
    The bite valve is a bit crap so I just took it off and just use the normal shut off valve, easier and gets a better flow.
    The only downside so far is it a pain to drain all the water out, I tend to fill it with sterilising solution if I know I wont be using it for a few days.
    When full (1.5ltr) there is still enough for my rain jacket, phone / mp3 player, keys and money. A nice touch is a slit on the top that the headphone cable can route out.
    Some loopy bits as well for my clip on lights when running early / late.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭nicecupotay

b.harte wrote: »
    I find it great, beats carrying bottles in my hand or a bottle belt.

Yeah,prefer to have my hands free.Was using a torch in the winter before I got a head lamp and hated it!

How do you find the fit?Does it bounce around or fit well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

It doesn't bounce about too much, tends to ride down at the back and settle a bit between my shoulder blades (top of the bag) , but that's because I don't pull the shoulder straps very tight. There is a chest strap which holds it well.
    There is a waist (or in my case stomach) strap which I don't use at all, that would keep it even more secure. I've it folded out of the way, would be better if it was removable.
    It's not uncomfortable by any means and I've had zero blisters burns etc from rub.
    As an aside, an interesting side effect is that I find I can meter my fluid intake really well because the water in the pack tends to get warm, whereas the water in the tube stays cooler, so a few gulps and I have cool-ish water, I tend to do this every 2.5km or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Don't know if this is what you are looking for, but i ordered one cos the price is unbelievable

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Platypus-Breakaway-Hydration-Pack-/230769847445?pt=UK_SportingGoods_HikingEquipment_RL&var=&hash=item7b697cb85b

upthe19th wrote: »
    Don't know if this is what you are looking for, but i ordered one cos the price is unbelievable

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Platypus-Breakaway-Hydration-Pack-/230769847445?pt=UK_SportingGoods_HikingEquipment_RL&var=&hash=item7b697cb85b

Apologies:o, this won't store anything else but the liquid i think......still good value for a hydration pack....i have the race belt for everything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I've been using a 2L camel back for the last few years and find it great. Very well built product and you can buy all the spares for it, mouth pieces, straps etc...

I think i paid €35 for it, I was wondering at the time if i should just get a cheap one, but this one has been 100% many marathons later :-)

If i had of bought a cheaper one, when the mouth piece started to leak i would not of been able to get spares, so would of had to replace the whole thing.

That said its hard to aruge with 7 euro for the one above on ebay

Not sure what its going to be like....will be my first one...not getting enough fluids in on LSR's and I find carrying a bottle a bit awkward.
    Still new to the running, so just dipping the toe in to see if it will work. May need to invest further down the line but its a start i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Not sure what its going to be like....will be my first one...not getting enough fluids in on LSR's and I find carrying a bottle a bit awkward.
    Still new to the running, so just dipping the toe in to see if it will work. May need to invest further down the line but its a start i guess.

That's not a bad idea, I had another cheaper one before I bought an expensive one. They are great for long runs, I find it hard to carry bottles for any length of time

That's not a bad idea, I had another cheaper one before I bought an expensive one. They are great for long runs, I find it hard to carry bottles for any length of time

thanks for that..yeah the bottle is a disaster for me...sometimes i find myself gripping it harder and tensing a bit.

Do you mind if I ask what camel pack you have, if I need to change down the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

This is awesome. I've only seen them and heard people rave about them, never used one myself.

It's far from cheap though. So not really answering your question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

Apologies:o, this won't store anything else but the liquid i think......still good value for a hydration pack....i have the race belt for everything else.

Hi,

Did yours come with a bladder? as it looks only like the pack itself when you click on to buy?

Thanks

from what I've seen it's a false economy buying the cheap ebay ones. they usually break or get smelly or bad taste and can't be cleaned easily. one of those cases where it's worth buying a decent brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

jeffontour wrote: »
    This is awesome. I've only seen them and heard people rave about them, never used one myself.

It's far from cheap though. So not really answering your question.

I have that, and it is really good. Even with the 1.5l bladder full and a few other bits and pieces in there, you forget you're wearing it, even bouncing around the trails in Ticknock.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

I use this for running and mountain biking really comfi while ruining too mainly trails http://www.wiggle.co.uk/camelbak-mule-3-litre-hydration-pack/

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭nicecupotay

jeawan wrote: »
    I use this for running and mountain biking really comfi while ruining too mainly trails http://www.wiggle.co.uk/camelbak-mule-3-litre-hydration-pack/

Do you find it a bit big for running?
    I have one about the same size for mountain biking,ran with it once and found it really noticeable.

Here's one I was looking at its small but has no sternum strap so was thinking it might not be very suitable when running,anybody here have one?
    http://www.probikeshop.com/camelbak-hydrobak-hydration-pack-black/68901.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Product-View-RacePro-4.html?L=26

This is a great runners pack, stick in a 2l horisontal bladder and you've as much hydration as you'll need. It sits nicely on the hips and with the compression cords will pull in tight so no jiggle or rattle.

I use the RacePro 12 with the bladder and you don't notice it sitting on the hips at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

A friend uses that one and is pretty happy with it.

I have the CamelBak Mule mentioned above as well (and the smaller again Lobo, bit of a gear junkie!!), and I wouldn't call it minimal with a total capacity of 9.5l. CamelBak classify it as a bike pack. Their Marathoner or Ultra vests would be the way to go in the CamelBak range.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭SimonClarke

The ebay guy is all out of Bladders.. he had one left last night but I didn't spot it.. came into the office this morning having decided to buy it.. refreshed the page and it was sold out! Grrrrr..

Advertisement