Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumineers - what are they

Options
  • 19-05-2012 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭

Have a query and would be greatful for any information - what exactly are lumineers, can they be fitted without damaging teeth and do they last?

Also if anyone could recommend or suggest a dentist in Waterford who would fit lumineers or even give an estimate of the cost of lumineers, that would be great?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Lumineers are just the same a porcelain veneers except the dentist does not prepare the teeth beforehand. Its a brand name. But without preparing the teeth the lumineers are stuck on to the front making the teeth bulky especially at the gum-line which is ugly and causes gum issues. Veneers are strongly bonded onto your teeth and can never be removed without damaging the surface of the teeth, so regardless of them being lumineers you can never go back to the teeth you have.

I have done a lumineer cases and found the results terrible and the patient was deeply unhappy with then, replacement with proper veneers, prepared properly to create enough space for the veneers without making horse teeth was the answer.

A good dentist and dental laboratory can do minimal preparation to your teeth and bond on very thin veneers that are good looking, not bulky and conducive to long term gum health. I would expect the cost of good veneers to be 600 - 1200 euro per veneer, price will vary with the skills of the dentist and the quality of the laboratory work permanently cemented to your teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Lumineers are just the same a porcelain veneers except the dentist does not prepare the teeth beforehand. Its a brand name. But without preparing the teeth the lumineers are stuck on to the front making the teeth bulky especially at the gum-line which is ugly and causes gum issues. Veneers are strongly bonded onto your teeth and can never be removed without damaging the surface of the teeth, so regardless of them being lumineers you can never go back to the teeth you have.

I have done a lumineer cases and found the results terrible and the patient was deeply unhappy with then, replacement with proper veneers, prepared properly to create enough space for the veneers without making horse teeth was the answer.

A good dentist and dental laboratory can do minimal preparation to your teeth and bond on very thin veneers that are good looking, not bulky and conducive to long term gum health. I would expect the cost of good veneers to be 600 - 1200 euro per veneer, price will vary with the skills of the dentist and the quality of the laboratory work permanently cemented to your teeth.

Thanks very much for the information - I really need to get my teeth sorted out, but I was talked out of getting veneers by my dentist a few years ago in favour of braces.
    I couldn't go through with the braces option, I have arthritis in my jaws and the prep work alone was causing my problems, I really wish I had just done what I wanted and got the veeners now.

Advertisement