Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need Advice - first time buyer with automatic license

Options
  • 19-05-2012 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,

I would really appreciate some advice. I have held a full automatic license for the last 5 years. I have been driving my parents cars but I have just got a job and am looking to buy a car for the first time. I have a 45 minute commute to and from work everyday and everyone is advising me to look for a diesel car as I will save a fortune in fuel.

So my problem is this;
    There is not much choice for small, cheap automatic cars. And im finding it very difficult to find small cheap automatic diesel cars!!

So then I was thinking should I sit the theory test again, apply for a manual license and then be able to buy a manual car. But then I presume my insurance will go up, I wont be able to use motorways, and someone said to me that you have to sit a number of lessons before you can sit your test again.

Has anyone any advice on this? Im basically wondering what the cheapest or best option is? Has anyone faced a similar situation and what did you decide to do? Any advice is really appreciated! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Wha ? automatic ??? Never heard about them. Does license state, that you are permitted drive only on automatic cars ??? I am just curious , as i never heard anything like that.

There is bunch of automatic cars in market, all depends what road you want go, as cheap as possible, or get a decent one., and what budget you have ? its hard suggest something, if dont know how much money ready spend on car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭lostboy

yeah if you do the test in an auto you cant drive, manuals, my mother has an automatic license,

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

depending on when you got your first provisional, you shouldn't have to sit a number of lessons, as it only came in recently for first time learner permit applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Depending on your budget there are a few options available.

Small petrol car with small engine: cheap to tax, insure and buy, but not that light on petrol due to underpowered engine, shorter gears

Focus size petrol auto, 1.6 tax, insurance a bit higher, not as easy to find as a smaller car but not any more expensive to buy or much harder on fuel

Older bigger auto diesel like a passat or a4, higher tax again (1.9) a good bit more expensive to buy, but better on fuel (not drastically though)

On balance I'd say the second option would be better, assuming you have a few grand to play with

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ancuncha

i knew someone with a auto micra 1l
    i drove it and have to say it was grand and nippy and it was supposed to be great on fuel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Mar4ix wrote: »
    Wha ? automatic ??? Never heard about them. Does license state, that you are permitted drive only on automatic cars ??? I am just curious , as i never heard anything like that.

There is bunch of automatic cars in market, all depends what road you want go, as cheap as possible, or get a decent one., and what budget you have ? its hard suggest something, if dont know how much money ready spend on car.

Restriction code 78 on your full license indicates you are licensed only for automatics, it's not a separate licence just a restriction. If you drive a manual you are considered a learner driver and must comply with Learner Permit regulations even though you have a full license for an auto (the accompanying driver must also have a manual licence).

OP, even if you do buy an automatic you should ensure you get licensed for a manual to give to more options in future.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Restriction code 78 on your full license indicates you are licensed only for automatics, it's not a separate licence just a restriction. If you drive a manual you are considered a learner driver and must comply with Learner Permit regulations even though you have a full license for an auto (the accompanying driver must also have a manual licence).

OP, even if you do buy an automatic you should ensure you get licensed for a manual to give to more options in future.

Thanks for that, didnt know . is it easier pass exams on automatic license ? or its everything same, just driving test passed on automatic car. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭lostboy

ancuncha wrote: »
    i knew someone with a auto micra 1l
    i drove it and have to say it was grand and nippy and it was supposed to be great on fuel
    the mother had a 1l auto clio, then a 1.2 micra, they are out there just a bit harder to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MsMess

Thanks for all your replies. I would spend about 5-6k. What I want to find is a diesel automatic but I dont think I will. I have seen a few small automatics alright, but nothing great. I will phone my insurance on monday and see what wuld happen if I was to get a manual learner license all over again. Huge regret that I did my test in an automatic. At the time, my moms car was the only thing I had to practice and use. Advice to anyone would be not to do it in an automatic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A good lot of the small engined diesel automatics are these clutchless manual jobbies like Toyota MMT, Citroen Sensodrive or Ford Durashift EST. These are best avoided IMO.

Your budget would certainly get you a decent sized 1.9 or 2.0 but you'd want to work out how much you'd actually save mpg wise vs how much you'll spend on costs.

• Advertisement

ill bet youll get bunch of nice lil cars with automatic gearbox in that money range. ... even diesels one. peogeots , renaults , they have small 1.4 or 1.6 diesel engines, but id say small petrol engine cars with automatic gearboxes would be more to choose from.

Advertisement