Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial Washing Machine in a home?

Options
  • 19-05-2012 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭

Can this be installed in a home?

Our 12 year old washing machine has died and a friend has a old Miele Commerical WS 5406 washing machine in their garage that they said we could have. Problem is it has a thick power lead with a circular plug with three round pins (which say 15 amps on it). Anyone know if this type of commercial machine can be installed in a home and if so the rough cost of getting an electrician to connect it? Would any electrician be able to do it?

The wiring in our house is quite old by the way and there is a lack of sockets everywhere.

Any advice appreciated as we need a washing machine urgently but money is tight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

you'll prob need a 16amp socket
    shouldn't be a problem if the wiring is up to it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You might pick up a new washing machine cheaper than you think.

Alot of the Electrical stores have bank holiday sales,and theres the June bank holiday weeking comming up very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

M cebee wrote: »
    you'll prob need a 16amp socket
    shouldn't be a problem if the wiring is up to it

Sorry M cebee - this is as clear as mud to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

paddy147 wrote: »
    You might pick up a new washing machine cheaper than you think.

Alot of the Electrical stores have bank holiday sales,and there's the June bank holiday weeking comming up very soon.

Thanks Paddy, can't wait that long, baby due any day now and no launderette or friends/family in my area. Can get a new machine for about 250e (although they all seem to have LCD displays which i don't trust to last long) but hate waste so would like to use old machine if easy and economical enough to do so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Weyhey wrote: »
    Thanks Paddy, can't wait that long, baby due any day now and no launderette or friends/family in my area. Can get a new machine for about 250e (although they all seem to have LCD displays which i don't trust to last long) but hate waste so would like to use old machine if easy and economical enough to do so.

Harvey Normans have a sale on at the moment.
    Haggle like feck and you will get a good bargain.I haggled like feck with them,and managed to get 15 euro off a new microwave oven.:)

How fast can you get an electrican though??

He will have to look at the wiring of the house to make sure its safe to do what M cebee said (16 amp socket and checking the wiring so thats its safe to use this old washing machine).

You "could" possibly end up paying out a fair whack of money to an electricain just to get this free old washing machine up and running.

I hope that isnt the case though.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

paddy147 wrote: »

How fast can you get an electrican though??

The words "new baby anyday now" is pretty much the secret password for tradesmen to drop everything and go there straight away. ;)

Thats just between ourselves on this thread,dont tell anyone else the password.

it'll prob mean a new cable from the main board-if the wiring is suitable for a new 16amp circuit.

16amp socket,16amp rcbo and 2.5 radial circuit

it's also allowed to branch off a ring circuit with a 16amp mcb for a 16amp socket

you'll need to get a quote from an electrician on site and decide if it's worth it

it prob won't be unless it's a handy job

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

The words "new baby anyday now" is pretty much the secret password for tradesmen to drop everything and go there straight away. ;)

Thats just between ourselves on this thread,dont tell anyone else the password.

I thaught I was the only sucker that fell for that one:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pms7

It might have a 16amp plug on it because that would be the sockets in a commercial premises. Should say amps or watts on back , a normal 13A plug might be fine. If not sure, try it, worst than happen is you blow the little fuse in the plug, no other damage.

pms7 wrote: »
    It might have a 16amp plug on it because that would be the sockets in a commercial premises. Should say amps or watts on back , a normal 13A plug might be fine. If not sure, try it, worst than happen is you blow the little fuse in the plug, no other damage.
    It can cause overheating sometimes

• Advertisement
Advertisement