Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual names (gaeilge/ english)

Options
  • 19-05-2012 10:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

What are the problems associated with having 2 names? I am going for my first job and am worried as I am known by my English name (and always have been), but my legal name is Irish (my parents nor myself have good Irish, was more idealist) , will it cause problems for instance when my cv goes in with my english name and then I have to fill in employment forms to go down to accounts to get paid/ pay tax etc? Or is it to suffice to just explain the story? Should I put my name in Irish underneath my known name on my cv?

I know the problems associated with Visa's etc and at the moment I am fine because litterally everything is in Irish (birth cert/ passport/ bank/ pps) , the only difference being my friends/ family/ social networks etc all know me by my english name and have since I was born.

The main thing I am trying to conclude is if its ok to carry on with this dual identity? Or is it worth going to the trouble to change my name legally to avoid problems?

Anyone else with any experiences of this duality?

ps I love the Irish language and would like to use my Irish name when speaking Irish (I am learning on and off) but naturally I have always been known as my english name which will never change.

Comments

Advertisement