Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water

Options
  • 18-05-2012 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi guys
    im not sure if im in the right section for posting this, but anyway, im entering a competition in my local night club, and there question is as follows:

What type of water doesn't freeze......

Any Help would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Frozen water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

nanotube water

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭citrus burst

Hot water

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Pure water

I'm not sure what answer they're looking for. I've this experiment I haven't done it.

If you remove all the impurities from water - use distilled water, then boil off the air in it, and then put a plastic bottle of this water in a deep freeze. The water will not freeze.

When you take it out of the freezer and pour the water, as soon as it hits the air it starts to freeze.

The reason - I've been told - is the water crystals/ice need something to form around, like a little impurity. If it's just other water molecules the ice crystals have nothing to form around.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

If its a night club comp,

uisce beatha :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rgunning

Three different answers, depending on the temperature you're looking at:

1) Salt water/Sea water - due to freezing-point depression (liquid to around - 21 °C)

2) Pure water - due to crystal homogeneous nucleation (liquid to around -50 °C)

3) Water trapped in nanotubes - (liquid to around -265 °C)

Unless Dr. Sheldon Cooper is running the competition, I'd go with no.1, it's the most commonly known one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

rgunning wrote: »
    Three different answers, depending on the temperature you're looking at:

1) Salt water/Sea water - due to freezing-point depression (liquid to around - 21 °C)

2) Pure water - due to crystal homogeneous nucleation (liquid to around -50 °C)

3) Water trapped in nanotubes - (liquid to around -265 °C)

Unless Dr. Sheldon Cooper is running the competition, I'd go with no.1, it's the most commonly known one.

The trouble is all those types freeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Colloquially speaking, maybe they're looking for "moving" water.

"Moving" in quotes as it is a term that Physics-types should rarely use...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

That would be an ecumenical matter

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

The water in Don Juan Pond

• Advertisement
Advertisement