Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water mains valve suck - won't come back on so no water to house

Options
  • 18-05-2012 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

I'm in Dublin 9 and I just had a plumber in to replace my old T90si electric shower with a new one. In doing so he needed to turn off the water at the road as there isn't a stopcock inside the house. After replacing the shower he couldn't get the mains valve back on - apparently something dropped inside it so it's now stuck.

He said to ring Dublin city council which I did, and they said they more than likely won't get out today, so now I'm stuck without any water for the weekend.

Is it normal when replacing an electric shower to have to turn off the water at the road? Also how long does it typically take Dublin city council to turn up and fix a problem like this? Is there any way I can get it fixed quicker as I really don't want to be without water for the weekend?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Best thing you should of said was, the stopcock was broken on the outside and you have a leak in house...They would of been out to you on Saturday at the very least.

When they put in the new stopcock, its very easy to shut of the mains to house as they are the new stop cocks and only need a quarter turn. When they have the new one in, get the plumber to come back and put a stop cock inside the house for you.

You won't be allowed to go near the broken one, as its the councils property plus its outside your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭karlitob

mad m wrote: »
    Best thing you should of said was, the stopcock was broken on the outside and you have a leak in house...They would of been out to you on Saturday at the very least.

When they put in the new stopcock, its very easy to shut of the mains to house as they are the new stop cocks and only need a quarter turn. When they have the new one in, get the plumber to come back and put a stop cock inside the house for you.

You won't be allowed to go near the broken one, as its the councils property plus its outside your property.

Hi

I hope it's ok to jump on this forum but have a similar question.

We've just had renovations done and there is no stopcock on the internal mains pipe. Is there a regulation that all internal mains should be fitted with a stopcock?

Thanks

Afaik,

Its not a regulation, but I would have it as a neccessary thing to have. The old stop cocks you would need a key to turn them off, but with the new ones being fitted you can turn them with your hand, which is very easy to do....Put it this way, you get a leak in house, you run out to turn off stopcock, some neighbours car or a car is parked on pathway and their car is over your cover to get to stopcock...You see where im coming from!!!

Also to note, I think most insurance companies have it in there clause somewhere, that when your on holidays, to make sure the tank is drained and stop cock is turned off. So if you had one in your house it would be handier than going out to pathway...

Also most stop cocks are situated under the sink unit....I put mine under my stairs.

Had same problem a while back as the OP, but I did have a leak, had 3 inches of water under sub floor, main pipe had burst going to kitchen sink. Called Council and they had someone out within the hour....Council couldnt turn off stopcock outside as the whole body was turning....I eventually got a clamp to go on pipe to stop leak and they came out the next day and changed old for new stop cock.....

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Some_randomer

Ok when I woke up this morning the council had been and gone as the footpath was freshly cemented. Still no water in the mains tap though so I rang them and they said the cutting crew had been out and the repair crew will be out tomorrow morning. Bit strange that they would do it this way - as it is now they'll have to go taking up the footpath again. Also a plumber told me that they will be putting in fittings for a water meter as this is now standard for any repair work like this, is this true?

Ok when I woke up this morning the council had been and gone as the footpath was freshly cemented. Still no water in the mains tap though so I rang them and they said the cutting crew had been out and the repair crew will be out tomorrow morning. Bit strange that they would do it this way - as it is now they'll have to go taking up the footpath again. Also a plumber told me that they will be putting in fittings for a water meter as this is now standard for any repair work like this, is this true?

Yes, its true, the new stopcock will take a water meter....This is the norm. Also the cutting crew probably had the others following behind them, and they probably got stuck on another job. Can't see them cementing it, they probably used the cheap tarmac to make sure its covered so no one falls into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Some_randomer

Woke up to the sound of a kango drill at 9 this morning, they dug up the pavement and replaced the old stopcock with a new one so all is sorted now. Have to say I'm kind of impressed that they done the job at 9 on a Sunday morning. @mad_m you're right they covered it up with tarmac rather than cement.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

your plumber could have tied up the ball valve in the main water storage tank in the attic....then just run cold tap till waters stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

There should be a valve on the T90.

Advertisement