Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monetizing Podcasts?

Options
  • 18-05-2012 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I'd love to know if any of you lot here that run a podcasting show actually make anything in return?
    I've put easily several months and thousands of hours into my own time into a podcast, website and video's, and to top it off quite a few quid, but i have the fear I'm doing something wrong, especially when it comes to advertising and monetizing.
    Are any of you lot making anything on your casts? and if so, were you contacted by someone who listens or did you go look perhaps?

Any success story's and how well you are doing?
    At the moment my website is getting between 30-80 views a day and my podcast about 50-100 hits a week and its starting to feel like its going no where as i'm now on 9 months working everyday on this and can't shake the sense i'm chipping at a wall..

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

My video podcasts are free I couldn't imagine charging for them! There is an option on my host (blip.tv) for advertising revenue; pre- and post- episode scrolls etc. Otherwise I'd consider getting your content on a bigger site, like zero expectation did, but honestly unless ur stuff is super-popular it's gonna be difficult finding paying customers; considering how much awesome free content is available.

Hopefully someone else here has more practical advice but IMO you should be primarily doing your podcast for yourself and enjoying it. Even Ricky Gervais' podcast was free for a long while until he made the back catalogue a pay-service.

On a side note, advertising would be paramount; try to put up your podcast anywhere relevant and on different sites so more people are exposed to it. Best of luck!

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

Now I dont know what your podcast is about but youtube is actually a surprisingly good place for them. As long as you are a partnered member of youtube you can make money from the ads shown during the video and you will have a far larger audience base. There are a few youtubers who make there entire living and a decent one by just making ad revenue from videos and podcasts, they also have multiple outlets for these videos so they can more ad revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Angeles

I do a gaming podcast which is slowly picking up in popularity.
    I would never charge people to listen to us talking, but I myself am currently paying out of my own pocket to maintain and host a podcast and website.
    Future goal would obviously be to make something out of it in the future but i would love to know if anyone has any info to allow this stuff to support itself and not actually cost me money as well as all of my free time.

The work load is quite huge on me at the moment to near stress lvl breakdown so, I'm more or less looking for some inspiration as well above all.

I have 4 area's online I do what I can to maintain.

My website - www.gameslushy.com
    the upload host for the podcast - http://gameslushy.podbean.com/
    my youtube gaming channel - www.youtube.com/offtimegaming
    and my podcast youtube channel - www.youtube.com/angeles001
    Top that off with a regular 9-5 job, and a very patient OH.
    I know i need to incorporate more twitter, facebook time to help promote it all too... shesh

Advertisement