Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Crowns

Options
  • 18-05-2012 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all,

When I was a kid (about 10 at a guess) I had an accident which broke about a quarter off each of my front two teeth. Since I was too young to get crowns, I had fillings (for lack of a better word) done on them. They broke multiple times in the first couple years due to sport etc., but they haven't broken in a long time. However, I am unhappy with how my two front teeth look. I had braces many years ago, and through my own fault (not wearing the retainer as often as I should have at the start), my front teeth seem to have moved a little. Apart from being slightly oversized (just a guess, but I think my dentist got tired of having to re-do my teeth and made them extra bulky the last time for extra strength), they are now protruding slightly. I am 21, so I'd like to fix this.

From research it seems that I can get a diagnostic wax-up done prior to the actual procedure so that I can see what my teeth will look like. Is this true? What I really want to know is, will crowns be able to help with the aesthetic side of my teeth, I know this is an obvious yes but I'm referring to the protruding nature of them rather than just the bulky size. I will post a picture below so that people can see what I am talking about, it may make giving an answer a little easier.

Finally, are there any particular clinics I should recommend, and what are ballpark figures for getting two teeth done? I'm based in the west, but I could travel if necessary.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Here's a picture of my teeth:

In the picture it is difficult to see the slight protrusion. But it is there and makes me very self-conscious about my smile. How noticable would this be after having crowns done?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

If the composites were (other than dislodging due to sports trauma, and being bulky) reasonably successful, you could consider having the teeth realigned with orthodontics, and replacing the composites with a "neater" version.
    Means you get to conserve more of your tooth structure long-term, and you always have the crowns as a backup option if the composites fail.
    Crowns alone can realign teeth, but for protruding teeth, you'd be looking at even more tooth removal- "cutting them back", as it were- from the front of the teeth in order to do so->weakening the teeth further again.
    There are pros& cons to both options, but as you're only 21, what you choose to do with your teeth now will impact on them for the next 60-odd years.
    See a dentist for a waxup re crowns/composites, see an ortho for a consult, think carefully about all your options. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭park500

Difficult to be sure but I think braces are part of the solution.If you go the crown/veneer route you would probably need to do at least four teeth at €800- €1200 per unit.You have a high smile line and recession which makes aesthetics extremely difficult.Factor in replacement every 10-15 years.
    Ortho isn't a walk in the park either. I would suggest separate consults with an orthodontist (OSI member) and a prosthodontist.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Anonymous111

Thanks for the replies. After thinking about it, think I will go with new composites rather than crowns. And braces are an option if I still feel my teeth are not straight. But I have had braces in the past, is it common for someone to have braces more than once in their lifetime? It seems like having them the first time was a waste if they're not straight now.

If I do go down the road to getting braces again, I think I will get them on the inside of my teeth. I know there is some problems associated with this particular method but I think I'd prefer having to deal with them than have braces showing.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement