Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird Question

Options
  • 18-05-2012 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭

K so I have had my lip pierced over two years now. No problems with it. All is grand. But the last few days (and this sounds kinda weird) I have noticed a bit of a 'funny' smell coming from it. I canni pinpoint the smell, such as to say it smells like such-and-such. But I wouldn't have thought it is meant to smell at all surely?

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

the smell is a sign of an infection
    Clean it out with salt and water now!
    and evryday til it goes away

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

darokane wrote: »

Is it not really odd to get an infection two years in?

Will do the salt water soaks again though thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

hdowney wrote: »
    darokane wrote: »

Is it not really odd to get an infection two years in?

Will do the salt water soaks again though thanks

Nope you can get an infection at any time salty water is the best...but you can use a cream called fucidin on the outside of the piercing too that's what I use aswell as the salty water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Nope you can get an infection at any time salty water is the best...but you can use a cream called fucidin on the outside of the piercing too that's what I use aswell as the salty water.

Fucidin shouldn't be used on piercings, as far as I know. Sea salt soaks are sufficient. The smell could be caused by sebum collecting in the fistula, but it seems unlikely that you'd only notice that two years in. How often do you clean the piercing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

finality wrote: »

Fucidin shouldn't be used on piercings, as far as I know. Sea salt soaks are sufficient. The smell could be caused by sebum collecting in the fistula, but it seems unlikely that you'd only notice that two years in. How often do you clean the piercing?

My doctor specifically prescribed it to me when one of my piercings was infected and it's always worked for me since that and had no adverse affects.

• Advertisement

Well the inside daily as I brush my teeth, the outside daily when I am getting washed. but the fistula, I never thought of that. How would I go about douching out the fistula? I might change my bar to one of my others (cleaned and sterilized obvs) which might help a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mr Bump

Salt water kid, best answer for the problem in my humble opinion,
    K so I have had my lip pierced over two years now. No problems with it. All is grand. But the last few days (and this sounds kinda weird) I have noticed a bit of a 'funny' smell coming from it. I canni pinpoint the smell, such as to say it smells like such-and-such. But I wouldn't have thought it is meant to smell at all surely?

Any advice appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Well the inside daily as I brush my teeth, the outside daily when I am getting washed. but the fistula, I never thought of that. How would I go about douching out the fistula? I might change my bar to one of my others (cleaned and sterilized obvs) which might help a bit

You could try some TCP. I have used it with no bad effects. Clean the ring and immerse in solution before putting it back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

topcatcbr wrote: »

You could try some TCP. I have used it with no bad effects. Clean the ring and immerse in solution before putting it back in.
    Way too harsh, and definitely should not be used on piercings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

plus you will stink of TCP for days and days that stuff is rank!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 bonnie.

teatree oil and if in doubt just go to your local piercer, they usually have stuff

bonnie. wrote: »
    teatree oil and if in doubt just go to your local piercer, they usually have stuff

unfortunately don't have a local piercer. no wait that is a lie, we do, however she completely botched my ear for a scaffold piercing, it is still painful now etc, so wouldn't go near here with a bargepole. i get my piercings done in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

bonnie. wrote: »

If you're gonna use teatree oil, make sure it's REALLY well diluted, like a drop or two to a pint of cooled boiled water

Advertisement