Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to take up yugioh in ireland

Options
  • 18-05-2012 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi guys,

I've decided to take up yugioh again. I was a fan as a kid and now college is finished I want to take it up properly. Anyone got any advice on how to do so such as:
    • Where can I buy cards
    • Where can I find the latest info for events
    • etc
    Dublin/Carlow are my closest big areas.

Thanks guys,
    nomad33

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Go-Go-Gadget does tournaments in Dublin.

Best place to buy single cards is probably the internet (places like Troll and Toad). Places like Forbidden Planet sell packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nomad33

Thank you _Godot_

Where can I find more information about Go-Go-Gadget.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

If your looking for cards in Dublin, GamersWorld near the Jervis St Luas stop has a few packs lying around. Also try SubCity on Exchequer St, off Georges St.

As for getting games in, do PM Go-Go Gadget, he usually has one or two events running a month in Dublin City Centre on the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 carnibell

i loved yugioh back in the day do you know how much it has changed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Magiman

carnibell wrote: »
    i loved yugioh back in the day do you know how much it has changed?
    Alot, with xyz monsters and synchros. Iv been playing with friends on and off the past year or so but our old decks from when yugioh first started sucked compared to newer ones. You need to start from the ground up pretty much :) I get all my singles from amazon but packs in forbidden planet and gamers world

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nomad33

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    If your looking for cards in Dublin, GamersWorld near the Jervis St Luas stop has a few packs lying around. Also try SubCity on Exchequer St, off Georges St.

As for getting games in, do PM Go-Go Gadget, he usually has one or two events running a month in Dublin City Centre on the weekends.

Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭luisspellcast

every time i take a game (or come back to a game) i follow the next list-- i'll be using MTG as reference, as i recently came back and this is more or less what i did-- i'm, also, guessing you intend to go to sanctioned tournaments:

- read the rules and choose which tournament format you want to follow-- usually, standard tournaments (most recent cards' expansion) is the easiest entry point--

- check the current net-decks and look for "budget builds" type of posts in forums-- most likely they use more or less the same engine but with much cheaper fuel cards

- buy yourself 50+50 sleeves to protect your deck-- buy a card binder to protect your rare cards and and keep them mint for future trades-- buy a few 9-pocket sleeves and a folder to hold your collection in mint condition

- look for a few websites that sell singles-- while checking the decks, build several wish-lists, each with the deck you intend to build-- i tend to move to higher priority the lists that have more cards from the newer sets (or sets that won't be rotated out that quickly)

- on those lists, while looking at your most-wanted-sets, you can buy boxes and/or boosters to fill in common/uncommon slots and to get yourself a few cards to mess around with--

- as you play more, you'll understand which cards you need (and why) and once you think you should be using 4 copies (and have only 1) i would try to trade, then get the singles (if it's proving too hard to get the cards)

TLDR-- get card sleeves and a binder-- read about the format you want to play and build proxy-decks-- buy boosters to fill in proxy-slots-- buy singles when you're comfortable with both deck performance and you're sure that's the engine you want to be playing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Go-Go-Gadget

Thanks for the help guys. In case anyone else searches looking for info on our tournaments our Facebook page can be found here:

http://www.facebook.com/IrishYuGiOh

We currently run two tournaments a week most weeks in Dublin.

Entry is €5 and everyone gets a participation prize of a booster pack. Top 3 get more packs depending on participation (usually around 5, 4 and 3)

If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.

There are also tournaments in Cork, Galway and Kilkenny run frequently as well as a few more locations. (The event pages are normally posted to the Facebook page)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭guitarwrist

Hi, Is there a tournament on this sunday in dublin and would my 12 year old boy be allowed to participate? He has been playing with a few of his friends for years! And if so, what is the time / venue / cost etc? I cant see any mention of anything on this sunday on the facebook page. Thanks, Ger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Jordan_

do any kids in ireland still play yu-gi-oh like me ? im 13 O.o :3 ??????/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RookieDuelist

me and my friend are 17 and looking to get back into YuGiOh. We both live in Southside Dublin. Looking to trade and duel. Any takers lemme know Ps3fan90@yahoo.com

Advertisement