Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for Swimmimg Lessons

Options
  • 17-05-2012 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi all
    I was hoping that somebody could recommend someone or somewhere for swimming lessons!!
    At the age of 30, I'm finally hoping to learn to swim, get fit and lose weight....but i have two issues::rolleyes:
    1. As I'm overweight and looking to lose weight I am very self-conscious.
    2. And I have a slight fear of water and am terrified of putting my face under water :eek:
    So I'm looking for recommendations of people/places who are patient, not too busy (have quiet times with not too many people about) and with reasonable prices.

I've checked out a few places, Diana's Swimming Academy (swimlessons.ie) and also the Shannon leisure centre and the Auburn lodge in Ennis.
    The Shannon leisure centre does group lessons at very reasonable price BUT I'm thinking that because of my size, self-consciousness, fear that one-to-one classes might be better.
    However, One of the others quoted €30 for a one-to-one 30 minute lesson! I think this is a bit expensive - or is that the norm nowadays??
    Also, does anyone actually have any experience with a good patient swim teacher??

Oh and I'm in the south East Clare - so anywhere in the region of Ennis, Shannon, Limerick would be most helpful!!

I would appreciate any info or suggestions..:)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I got lessons in the gym in the Shannon Shamrock 3 years ago, they have loads of options so I'd recommend giving them a call to see what they can organize for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Also call the Woodstock hotel in Ennis and get a quote, small pool and one to one help, know a person that went there to get their confidence in the water back

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Miss Congeniality

Thanks Clareman but the Shannon Shamrock is closed and unfortunately so is their leisure center :(. I also tried the Bunratty Castle hotel but its membership only which I can't afford at the moment!!
    Thanks anyways for your help:)

Thanks Carazy
    I hadn't thought of the Woodstock - I'll deffo give them a buzz tomorrow:) thanks for the help:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I was terrified of water. Can now swim on my back. Started to swim on my front but had to save up again then went by the way side. must start back again.

I'll pm you the womans number who taught me.

I think the auburn lodge used to do adult womens lessons.

Best of luck.
    Kollegeknight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Mrsbrady

Hi OP,
    I could have written your post above. I'm in my 30s and absolutely terrified in the pool, or i was until I learned how to swim in the Clare Inn recently, semi-private lessons with Emma. I brought my friend for moral support, she also needed to learn properly but wasnt afraid. Emma spent most of her time with me, one on one, and at the same time helped my friend while i was practicing. It was €120 for 6 lessons and it was so worth it!
    Their number is 061 700000.
    Best of luck!!
    MrsB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Doesn't the Ennis pool do a ladies hour? As for the lessons, 30 euro for 30 mins is high. I would expect to pay 30 to 40 at most for the hour. You could try the west county as I know they do lessons, and it is mainly girls I see giving the lessons if that makes you more comfortable . Best of luck , swimming is a great way of getting fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 uuPi

Hi there,

the going rate for one-to-one is € 20 for 45 minutes.

best
    uuPi

Thanks to everyone so far for their recommendations and info:) I really appreciate it:)

So far I've gotten some good stuff. I'm still saving my pennys for lessons at the moment but as soon as I have the lessons organised I will update, just in case anyone else is looking for recommendations.

In the meantime, should anyone else have info please feel free to post:D

Thanks again everyone:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Mrsbrady wrote: »
    Hi OP,
    I could have written your post above. I'm in my 30s and absolutely terrified in the pool, or i was until I learned how to swim in the Clare Inn recently, semi-private lessons with Emma. I brought my friend for moral support, she also needed to learn properly but wasnt afraid. Emma spent most of her time with me, one on one, and at the same time helped my friend while i was practicing. It was €120 for 6 lessons and it was so worth it!
    Their number is 061 700000.
    Best of luck!!
    MrsB

Hi MrsB,
    Was that emma the aussie girl or the irish girl there?
    KK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 emzyo1990

Hi all
    I was hoping that somebody could recommend someone or somewhere for swimming lessons!!
    At the age of 30, I'm finally hoping to learn to swim, get fit and lose weight....but i have two issues::rolleyes:
    1. As I'm overweight and looking to lose weight I am very self-conscious.
    2. And I have a slight fear of water and am terrified of putting my face under water :eek:
    So I'm looking for recommendations of people/places who are patient, not too busy (have quiet times with not too many people about) and with reasonable prices.

I've checked out a few places, Diana's Swimming Academy (swimlessons.ie) and also the Shannon leisure centre and the Auburn lodge in Ennis.
    The Shannon leisure centre does group lessons at very reasonable price BUT I'm thinking that because of my size, self-consciousness, fear that one-to-one classes might be better.
    However, One of the others quoted €30 for a one-to-one 30 minute lesson! I think this is a bit expensive - or is that the norm nowadays??
    Also, does anyone actually have any experience with a good patient swim teacher??

Oh and I'm in the south East Clare - so anywhere in the region of Ennis, Shannon, Limerick would be most helpful!!

I would appreciate any info or suggestions..:)

Hi there,

I am a qualified swim teacher working in the Clare area and the going rate for lessons at the moment is €80 for 6 lessons or €15 per 30-40 minute class

Advertisement