Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Mustard

Options
  • 17-05-2012 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭

Just found this in the cupboard and had a little taste to see if it would suit a sangwich.

Most disgustingly vile stuff I have ever tasted. It was like mustard flavour nail polish or something. Put me right off the sangwich it did. Flippin horrid crap.

Whats a nice sweet, mild mustard like what comes on those baked hotdogs in pastry ya get at the deli counter times ?. Thats nice, I like that mustardy flavour but I dont want to risk taste testing another jar of varnish trying to find it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Just found this in the cupboard and had a little taste to see if it would suit a sangwich.

Most disgustingly vile stuff I have ever tasted. It was like mustard flavour nail polish or something. Put me right off the sangwich it did. Flippin horrid crap.

Whats a nice sweet, mild mustard like what comes on those baked hotdogs in pastry ya get at the deli counter times ?. Thats nice, I like that mustardy flavour but I dont want to risk taste testing another jar of varnish trying to find it.

did you check the best before date before you ate it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

did you check the best before date before you ate it?

Wasnt out of date, was just manky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Wasnt out of date, was just manky.

i prefer Colman's English mustard

i loved Colman's French mustard on steak but ya cant buy it anymore in Ireland :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Irish can't cut it! (geddit?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Dijon is pretty mild OP. There are also mustards with honey in them afaik...

... yep, just looked, try this stuff maybe?

Don't give up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭FANTAPANTS

I might go for the American style and work my way up to the Dijon. That jar posted by Chuck looks worryingly similar to the stuff I encountered yesterday. Not the same stuff I know but bringing back some bad memories all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I might go for the American style and work my way up to the Dijon. That jar posted by Chuck looks worryingly similar to the stuff I encountered yesterday. Not the same stuff I know but bringing back some bad memories all the same.

If it isn't out of date then take it to the producer and demand a hamper of mustards as recompense.

(and a bouquet of cakes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

American mustard is mustard for people who are scared of mustard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Well French's American is a gateway mustard

Good for the noobs until they graduate onto proper stuff like Coleman's English

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

mikemac1 wrote: »

Nah, it's just yellow vinegar, poxy stuff

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭squonk

Lakeshore's mustard is lovely. I couldn't imagine it tasting like the OP described. French's is awful stuff, only a bit better than the Heinz stuff you get in the sachets which is vile! I actually like Aldi's bramwell's Dijon mustard. It's quite nice.

squonk wrote: »
    Lakeshore's mustard is lovely. I couldn't imagine it tasting like the OP described. French's is awful stuff, only a bit better than the Heinz stuff you get in the sachets which is vile! I actually like Aldi's bramwell's Dijon mustard. It's quite nice.

It was Lakeshore and it was horrendous.

This is the culprit here.
    580953.gif

That stuff is the Nectar of the Gods, I think you need a bit more practice.
    It was Lakeshore and it was horrendous.

This is the culprit here.
    580953.gif

21/25

uch wrote: »
    That stuff is the Nectar of the Gods, I think you need a bit more practice.

You sir are one tough bastard if you eat that crap. I feel sick even thinking about it :(

You sir are one tough bastard if you eat that crap. I feel sick even thinking about it

Not at all, you can actually get it in Extra Strong too, savage on a fried Egg sambo,,

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Some people just can't handle their mustard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Coleman's is crap. Wholegrain or Dijon ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

If Colemans is strong and French's American is weak there were does Dijon rank?

Somewhere in the middle?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

OFten products will have "best before 1/1/13" but also stuff like "once opened refrigerate & eat within 4 weeks". This is since many will sterilize the product in the jar, but once opened you have introduced contaminants. I think many people ignore this on stuff like mustard & ketchup, yet might pay attention to instructions on newer type sauces.
    If Colemans is strong and French's American is weak there were does Dijon rank?

Somewhere in the middle?
    Yeah, somewhere in the middle, some dijons are milder than others. You can 'dilute' strong mustard in mayo.

mike65 wrote: »
    American mustard is mustard for people who are scared of mustard
    To me they are very different products, like tomato ketchup & tomato puree, or beer & whiskey, dairy milk & 99% lindt, each has their place for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement