Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entertainment plan for new home

Options
  • 17-05-2012 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Currently undertaking a full refurbishment of a house that I will be moving into. Want to do out a wiring plan for the home entertainment end of it before I get to that stage so that I know what I want installed. Have read some similar posts but some are few years old.
    Basically hoping to have sky TV, a hi-fi sytem with speakers in every room, wireless broadband & will prob have a landline phone. (What are my options for sky if I dont have landline phone or do I def need one?)
    What options should I consider and what cables should be run between where?
    Should I have my H-fi and skybox in same corner in living room to make things easier?
    Dont want to overdo things but at same time would rather cover most angles to save upheavel down the line.
    Thoughts would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi,

1) Don't need a landline for sky.
    2) Cat 6 to each room if you can afford it.
    3) Co-Ax to each room (extra to the main rooms as they need at least two to record and view sky)
    4) I wired for speakers but it looks like I'm going against things like Sonos etc. which have a box per zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sams4TheHills

Cheers GaryCocs,
    So Sky will connect without a landline? Is there a fee for this or what is procedure?
    Is Cat6 cable expensive yeah? How many cores does it have?
    Would you run one to every room from a central point is that it? Would you run it to beside the tv points in each room? That will allow with streaming from main room to others? Will prob go for speakers on celings so would you run speaker cable to each celing from where hifi will be? Not familiar with Sonos systems etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

Cheers GaryCocs,
    So Sky will connect without a landline? Is there a fee for this or what is procedure?
    They did for me anyways, think the fee was 50 but they wrote that off
    Is Cat6 cable expensive yeah? How many cores does it have?
    Ya it can do speeds of up to 1GB so more expensive but worth it for streaming I reckon
    Would you run one to every room from a central point is that it?
    I did anyway, well I went over the top, I ran two, and 4 to the office and entertainment room, all going back to utility
    Would you run it to beside the tv points in each room?
    Yup
    That will allow with streaming from main room to others?
    Yup, you could do it wirelessly too if you wanted but I prefer cable
    Will prob go for speakers on celings so would you run speaker cable to each celing from where hifi will be?
    Only getting started with speakers and sound but I've found the price of those multi zone controllers to be 1000s better off checking with someone else about best to do there.
    Not familiar with Sonos systems etc
    www.sonos.com

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

I agree with what GaryCocs has posted and would add one piece of advice.

Incorporate some form of conduit/pipe when installing network and coaxial cables so that you can fish new cabling through in the future. It`s very possible that`ll you`ll miss out on one or two cables in your planning or a cable may get damaged etc over time and the easier it is to upgrade/replace the better on your house:-)

Also, not sure where you`re located but if you are in dublin and have broadband with UPC, their phoneline works with SKY but you will only need a phoneline if you have SKY multiroom. It cost me an extra €37 when I originally got SKY for an installation without a phoneline (2 years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sams4TheHills

Thanks for replies guys. The tv and sat end of things shud be no prob I will put in plenty connections to cover myself. So to get a basic handle on what I need for the rest. I run one cat 5 or cat 6 cable to beside every tv point in house from say my utility room? Is there a panel you get then to make all the links? If I have my sky box and hi fi in one corner of living room I wouldnt run all my cat 6 cables all from here? Too many cables? Do I run a phone line to utility too and what about a speaker cable from my hifi to there? Apart from that I just run a speaker cable to every speaker from hifi? Sorry if sounding vague just want to be sure of best way to go about it. Good idea to leave access for extra cables later

• Advertisement
Advertisement