Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSA after College

Options
  • 17-05-2012 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭

I know there have been many threads of this kind but I couldn't find any directly relevant to my situation.

I'm 22 and finished my last exam in NUIG this week and am currently seeking employment but I want to have my JSA application sent in and ready in case nothing turns up employment wise. I have been renting privately for the college year, paid for by my father (lone parent) but I aim to be completely independent and pay my own rent from now on. I have never paid PRSI/worked officially yet (all farm/cash work)

How extensively will I be means tested? since I am going to be independent will my fathers income be means tested also or is it based on my age? How much of an allowance could I expect? and would I be eligible for Rent allowance?

Also, I can't find my social security card thingy with my PPS number on it. How can I find my PPS number now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

I know there have been many threads of this kind but I couldn't find any directly relevant to my situation.

I'm 22 and finished my last exam in NUIG this week and am currently seeking employment but I want to have my JSA application sent in and ready in case nothing turns up employment wise. I have been renting privately for the college year, paid for by my father (lone parent) but I aim to be completely independent and pay my own rent from now on. I have never paid PRSI/worked officially yet (all farm/cash work)

How extensively will I be means tested? since I am going to be independent will my fathers income be means tested also or is it based on my age? How much of an allowance could I expect? and would I be eligible for Rent allowance?

Also, I can't find my social security card thingy with my PPS number on it. How can I find my PPS number now?

Okay you need to get a letter from college stating when you are finished and then apply for jobseekers allowance. If you still have your cert from your leaving cert then your ppsn number is on that or you can call into sw office with id and ask for it. Technically you are currently being kept in accomodation by your father so I dont know how rent allowance will pan out for you. Also the fact that your father has been supporting you could also come into play for means testing for jsa as you are under 25 years of age. Best thing to do it apply for jsa and rent allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Thanks for the reply eastbono. Planning on heading into the SW office tomorrow. Should I have the UP1 form filled out when going in or do I just need to go in with the college letter stating I am finished and general details first?

Any further advice from other posters much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Thanks for the reply eastbono. Planning on heading into the SW office tomorrow. Should I have the UP1 form filled out when going in or do I just need to go in with the college letter stating I am finished and general details first?

Any further advice from other posters much appreciated!

You can download the up1 form from welfare.ie.... have proof of address e.g. tenancy agreement or recent utility bill with your name on it. Two forms of id passport and drivers licence or passport and long version of birth cert and letter from college. You will also be given a up1b form to complete that is the application for means testing and will have to provide bank statements... sw will let you know what you have to submit for means testing. Once your claim is registered you can go to your local community welfare office and apply for supplementary welfare allowance while you are waiting for your claim to be processed and also apply for rent allowance.

Advertisement