Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

YLOD Essential Repair Kit

• 17-05-2012 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭

Anyone tried this :

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/180786436983?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_2137wt_1397
    Here at VersaTech we are experts in our field, we have used our extensive knowledge and experience to design this professional repair kit with the beginner in mind.

We have included everything you require to complete the repair along with a .PDF guide and videos for each and every step of the process. We also offer extensive support if you need it at any point.

This kit makes it possible for a true beginner to carry out a long lasting and professional repair of your YLOD problem.

Why does the YLOD appear :
    The main cause of the Yellow Light Of Death is excessive heat cycling damaging the connection of the solder between the CPU/GPU and the motherboard, this is known as a thermal fatigue fracture. Over time the thermal compound inside your console, which transfers heat away from the CPU/GPU, will also deteriorate. Renewing the compound will ensure the heat produced by the CPU/GPU is transfered away from the motherboard efficiently.

The use of a copper shim will help transfer this heat, infact the copper shim will help lower the heat inside your console by more than 20%. Placing a copper shim between the CPU/GPU and the heat sink will increase the rate of heat transfered as-well-as increase the connection of the solder balls beneath by exerting extra pressure.

WHATS-IN-THE-KIT.jpg
    KIT-CONTENTS.jpg

Handy Kit I will purchase and let you know my findings.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

Never used it but i did attempt to re-flow the solder on my old phat ps3.
    It was..............unsuccessful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

This is what's needed to repair the common YLOD causes

l.jpg

It's not in their kit. Suffice it to say, they're talking garbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

EnterNow wrote: »
    This is what's needed to repair the common YLOD causes

l.jpg

It's not in their kit. Suffice it to say, they're talking garbage.

Ah its cheap and worth a shot anyways.

Don't think i can afford what you have there for re-balling !
    And if i could afford it i don't have the skills ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

eddhorse wrote: »

The problem is, cheap/ineffective repairs may remove the option to properly repair the console as they tend to cause more damage than good in most cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

Dude you dont have to buy it,
    You pay somebody that has one to fix your console.

The only economical reason to have one of these machines if you do repairs on a regular basis.

Relativity decent rework equipment can be picked up for about 500 euro but they are harder to use than the one enternow showed you as setting have to be entered manually and one slip up and you have a expensive doorstop.

The cheap kits are not worth a shot,
    If you decide to get your console fixed properly down the line you will have caused lots of damage to your console with the kit.
    And if the repair tech can get your console to work it will never last as long as it should.

• Advertisement

Well i have a spare one anyways so I'm not bothered TBH.

Had to buy a slim on xmas eve because my 60GB launch model died.

Worst timing ever.

I appreciate the comments, but i have the slim up and running and this is a backup really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

All you are buying is some thermal paste, available in any computer store and a heat gun if you get the full set. You'll need the heat gun regardless. It's a temporary fix if it works at all. Better off getting someone to do a proper reflow.

Well i have a spare one anyways so I'm not bothered TBH.

Had to buy a slim on xmas eve because my 60GB launch model died.

Worst timing ever.

I appreciate the comments, but i have the slim up and running and this is a backup really.

Its a 60gig and you want to use kits that do more damage than anything else :eek: ...poor ps3

Get that puppy re-balled properly and sell the slim.

The original 60gig is the only console really worth the effort imo

Ok how much does a reball cost ? Ballpark?

EDIT: Sorry saw the other thread and approx €100 for a reball

Double EDIT : I still have my receipt, €800 :O , reball it is :)

Thanks chaps
    Ed

Might I reccomend consolepros.ie for your re-ball.
    He's the only person I know of offering this service.

I've never had a dealing with him for repair work as I always did my own repair work.

But when I was starting out on repairs he helped me get my profile sorted out so I could get up and running quickly enough.
    The guy definatly knows his stuff and has some really good equipment - His equipment can do a 60gig ps3 rework profile resulting in a chip lift in 3 mins and 40 seconds with preheat included :eek:

Trust me that's impressive

• Advertisement

Might I reccomend consolepros.ie for your re-ball.
    He's the only person I know of offering this service.

I've never had a dealing with him for repair work as I always did my own repair work.

But when I was starting out on repairs he helped me get my profile sorted out so I could get up and running quickly enough.
    The guy definatly knows his stuff and has some really good equipment - His equipment can do a 60gig ps3 rework profile in 3 mins and 40 seconds with preheat included :eek:

Trust me that's impressive

I've done my research on it, that is impressive !
    I will give them a shout,
    Cheers
    Ed

Advertisement