Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

going for the world record on battery usage on Desire HD!

Options
  • 17-05-2012 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

been having some issues with my original desire hd battery, so when it finally gave up the ghost altogether, i bought a new 'high capacity' one off ebay.

i wasn't expecting much from it, but it promised a higher capacity than the original battery. i wasn't planning on believing the sales pitch, but i needed a new battery cheap and quick, so it fitted the bill.

when i put it in, it already had 80% charge so i put it on charge until it said it was full and went about my business.

the thing is, it's not far off 48 hours since i charged it and i've only just dropped below the 50% full mark. :eek:

205368.jpg

admittedly it's been very light usage, but i could never hope to get 2 full days out of a charge from my original battery even when it was new, no matter how much or little i used it.

half of me expects it to get down to about 40% and just die, but i'm hopefully optimistic that i've actually found a great new battery for my phone. :)

here's the one i got anyway: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270923917671&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123#ht_2241wt_1139

watch this space...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I'm very interested in seeing how this goes. I've managed to tune my phone to such a degree that the original battery uses < 1% per hour in sleep mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i'm using the current widget to see how mine is idling and it's averaging around 4mW most of the time in sleep mode with data and everything else off.

like yourself i've gotten very frugal with it since the battery was never great to begin with on it.

i'll post back when it finally runs out of power anyway although part of me is already panicking as i haven't charged it since tuesday afternoon! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

vibe666 wrote: »
    i'm using the current widget to see how mine is idling and it's averaging around 4mW most of the time in sleep mode with data and everything else off.

like yourself i've gotten very frugal with it since the battery was never great to begin with on it.

i'll post back when it finally runs out of power anyway although part of me is already panicking as i haven't charged it since tuesday afternoon! :D

Average drain of -4mA in sleep mode is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Im interested in this too. I use my dhd for music on my way to work. Calls and some web in work and it does be near enough dead listening to music on the way home. Maybe 30-40 minutes music each way. Hopefully I can get longer from this battery as I'd like to Doss more in work :)

I'm on 19% at the moment. Phone idle 22%. Cell standby 19% and android system 40%. Would android system be the music playing or what. If not how can I reduce this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Funnily enough, I just gave my old Desire to my girlfriend, I charged multiple times per day, she gets about three days out of it.

Apparently the secret is to just never look at it! She uses it less than I used my old 3210.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Well Vibe, any update today? Might grab one myself. I used to have a "Mugen" I think it was in my Nokia 5800 and it was spot-on compared to the OEM battery. I had one or two of those €1 chinascrap.com versions and I got what I paid for!! :D

That one looks decent at a tenner. Did it take long to deliver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Double the capacity! Interested to hear how you get on with this. Seller's feedback would worry me a little though.

I'm seeing 99.1% feedback and all good comments. Am i missing something?

still going with it 2d17h35m on battery now since last charge and still going, altho i had a lot of calls to take this morning for work, so down to 14% now, but it's still going strong which is a miracle in itself if you ask me! :)

i actually ordered 2 different "high capacity" batteries from 2 different UK based suppliers as i was in dire need and didn't know which would be quicker, figuring that 2nd battery is always a good thing to have anyway so i got both.

the other one is an Andida battery which is apparently a popular asian brand, so i'll try that one next and see how it goes.

both ordered on friday last week and turned up on tuesday and wednesday this week.

still going with it 2d17h35m on battery now since last charge and still going, altho i had a lot of calls to take this morning for work, so down to 14% now, but it's still doing which is a miracle in itself if you ask me! :)

Ok bought :D

• Advertisement

cargo wrote: »
    I'm seeing 99.1% feedback and all good comments. Am i missing something?

Has 160 negative feedback reports for the past month alone. Didn't go through all of them bit quite a few were complaining about the quality of their batteries.

If the reports are good here over the next few weeks I might take a punt on it anyway.

CL7 wrote: »
    Has 160 negative feedback reports for the past month alone. Didn't go through all of them bit quite a few were complaining about the quality of their batteries.

If the reports are good here over the next few weeks I might take a punt on it anyway.
    160 out of 11657 though, so a tiny percentage of their overall sales and no matter how good you are, you will never keep everyone happy all of the time.

i can only go by my own experience with them and so far it's been great, although i guess time will tell if it holds its charge over time, or will deteriorate quickly, but for a tenner i think it's a bargain so far.

here's the current status anyway after some heavy phone use this morning.

205516.jpg

66 hours! That's impressive. I love my DHD, only negative is the battery life. I'm very tempted.

CL7 wrote: »
    66 hours! That's impressive. I love my DHD, only negative is the battery life. I'm very tempted.
    still 14% battery left too, which under normal circumstances would have me in a blind panic trying to find somewhere to charge it, but that will definitely get me to tonight and might well get me through to the morning with this bad boy if i don't go mad with it between now and then. :)

this is the other one i bought: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/230784031042?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1256wt_1163

nowhere near as much sales feedback, but delivery was 1 day quicker than the gold battery from ecell, both from the UK.

i'll be testing that one next and buying a gold one for my wife's desire as that barely makes it through a day most of the time even with light usage.

how does the Gold fit?

slides in perfectly, it's exactly the same size as the original. i'm guessing it's lithium polymer instead of lithium ion and it's easier to squeeze ore battery into the same amount of space? who knows though, maybe just improved battery technology since the original desire hd came out.

i don't know what it's going to be like long term for holding a good charge, but for now i'm impressed enough that i just bought 2 more for my wife's desire as her original battery is really on its last legs. fingers crossed i have the same luck with hers. :)

i should probably also reiterate that i run a pretty tight ship on my Desire HD, so i'm averaging 4mW usage at idle, so your own mileage may vary, depending on your usage.

balls. :(

just got stuck on a long call there for the best part of the last hour and it finally died a couple of minutes ago, so i won't be making that 72 hour mark, but i think it did pretty damn well all the same. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Think ill order one of these later. For a Tenner its worth a shot. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Gave my HTC Desire to the wife and its lasting 3-4 days normally

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056623526

She is not a light user and I would class her as medium user on the phone but I am suitably amazed all the same - it normally only just got 24-30 hrs for me

the other one is an Andida battery which is apparently a popular asian brand, so i'll try that one next and see how it goes.
    well, this one wasn't so good, probably only as good as my almost 18 month old OEM battery was before it died, no more than 36 very modestly used hours out of it, so i'll be sticking with the gold one and just using that one for backups, altho i don't know if i'll even need it, very happy with the gold one so far, fingers crossed it keeps a charge long term, altho i just got told meteor pushed through my upgrade early after i complained, so i'm sorely tempted to treat myself to a htc one x. :)

hmmm, nom nom nom! :D

• Advertisement

just as an update on the gold battery, i've gone almost through another full charge cycle (only to 99% was taking too long to get to 100%) and this time it was a lot more typical usage for me with more data usage and general everyday use of the phone.

it's at 22% now with the usage pattern looking like this:

205842.jpg

still pretty impressive imho for a 10 quid battery. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

how did this hold up after a couple of charges in the end? (the first one)
    Ive a Desire S and have been looking at getting some of those batteries, but there's something in the back of my head telling me that putting a higher juiced battery than the factory unit in the phone would be a bad idea, i similarly like my desire s, but the battery life is beginning to get to me in that i have 75% in it now at midday and i know i cant go out tonight and expect it to stay charged to call a taxi home :mad:

still going grand and still doing batter than my original battery ever did, although nothing as magnificent as the first charge, it's still giving me plenty of battery for even the hardest days usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

OK Vibe, you've convinced me. I bought a 2nd-hand DHD a few weeks ago and the OEM battery isn't great at this stage so I need a replacement. It was either go with the Gold one you suggested from Ebay or a Andida 1800 mAh from China.

Even if the Gold one does lose a bit of ummph over time, for that price it's a decent bet.

MayoForSam wrote: »
    OK Vibe, you've convinced me. I bought a 2nd-hand DHD a few weeks ago and the OEM battery isn't great at this stage so I need a replacement. It was either go with the Gold one you suggested from Ebay or a Andida 1800 mAh from China.

Even if the Gold one does lose a bit of ummph over time, for that price it's a decent bet.
    i actually got both and the gold one trumps the andida by a considerable margin. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

Here is a tip I found while researching battery issues with my DHD. This is for the Desire, but Im sure the concept is the same.

Im going to try it out and see what happens.

http://eurodroid.com/2010/08/16/htc-desire-battery-life-booster-trick/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Here is a tip I found while researching battery issues with my DHD. This is for the Desire, but Im sure the concept is the same.

Im going to try it out and see what happens.

http://eurodroid.com/2010/08/16/htc-desire-battery-life-booster-trick/

Yeah I think that's pretty well known, it's not supposed to be good for your batteries longevity though. Your essentially bypassing inbuilt protection from overcharging the battery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

I got a Gold battery for a Desire off the back of this thread. I've had it a couple of weeks and a few charges now. It's been unplugged now for 2 days and 6 hours and I have 54% left. So to extrapolate I could hope for it to last 4 days 16 and half hours

That's with very light usage though. I think the biggest improvement I made to how it runs is by only turning on mobile data (or wifi) when I need it. Still good to know it can stretch that far if you need it to.

I'll take a screenshot when it's nearer the end. I can only take screenshots with adb and I don't want to plug in a USB as that'll start charging it.

cool, glad its working out for you.

i imagine long term they will probably lose their capacity quicker than an OEM battery would, but for the money it's hard to argue with what you get. :)

mines still going strong anyway, which i guess is the main thing.

• Advertisement

I meant to post back after receiving mine also but I've been away for the past 2 weeks. I ordered my Gold on a Friday afternoon and received it Tuesday if I recall correctly.

Definitely saw a big performance improvement over the OEM (I've had it just over a year) but I don't think I'd ever get a few days out of it. I'm happy just to get through a day without having to charge up.

My usage patterns would probably be worst of all for battery life as I use mine for calls and on-screen reading (emails/browsing) a lot. I tend to use it at the end of the day on the couch to catch up on things rather than bother to go get the laptop. I will check in on emails regularly on the road and again browse a fair bit during the day also.

So overall I dont think you will get a better battery than the Gold even at a higher price point. Again time will tell how it holds up but even my OEM was showing plenty of signs of wear after 15 months of constant use.

Advertisement