Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150x inverter ok for TV?

Options
  • 17-05-2012 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

(edit, title should say 150w!)
    Hiya,
    Have a motorhome which has its own leisure battery built in - and there's a 12v system on-board which you use when not connected to mains.
    I'd like to run my LCD TV and sat box - so I need to get an inverter to convert the 12v to mains. The TV has a transformer, the output is 12V, 5A. The sat box uses 20w max it says. So I'm thinking a 150w inverter is plenty to do the job, something like this........

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270900267038#ht_2807wt_1270

Just wondering is there anything I'm missing - I just connect this to the 12v cigarette port in the motorhome (which runs off leisure battery) - attach a double adaptor, and then run TV and sat box. Sound OK?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

This inverter is just for emergency use. Please do not use for whole day long working purpose. If operating with high continuous load ratings for extended periods can cause damage or a complete malfunction. We are not responsible for replacement or an exchange in such case.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

guess what I'm trying to figure out is - whats an extended period? Could I use it to watch a movie, watch a footie match? Wouldn't have it on all day - could it run for 2 or 3 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

If the TV is already rated at 12 V then you don't need to connect it to an inverter. Get someone to make you the appropriate lead to connect it to whatever 12V outlet is provided in the Motorhome. That just leaves the satbox to worry about.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

ZENER wrote: »
    If the TV is already rated at 12 V then you don't need to connect it to an inverter. Get someone to make you the appropriate lead to connect it to whatever 12V outlet is provided in the Motorhome. That just leaves the satbox to worry about.

Ken

yeah, had thought of that. But there's only one 12v port - so if I use it up connecting the TV, there's no way of connecting the sat box. I know long term I can run another 12v lead and wire it up - but I'm heading on holidays soon and am reluctant to mess about with it before I go
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

kelbal wrote: »
    guess what I'm trying to figure out is - whats an extended period? Could I use it to watch a movie, watch a footie match? Wouldn't have it on all day - could it run for 2 or 3 hours?

Unless it's an inferior product, i can't see why you can't run it for long periods. I have a 300 watt inverter and whilst I've never run it for longer than an hour, I would have no hesitation in doing so.
    60 watts for the tv and 20 for the sat box is well within the ratings for that inverter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I doubt I'd have much faith in an inverter costing less than 10 quid to be honest. Certainly not enough to try to run it to it's limit ! There are better quality, if a bit more expensive, out there that you could trust not to destroy your TV or Satbox. You might get away with just running your satbox from this one but don't be surprised if it fries !

Looking at circuit diagrams for a 100W 12VDC - 230VAC inverter I doubt you could buy the components for that much, let alone the enclosure, heatsinks and sockets !!

Remember !! You get what you pay for.

Ken

Advertisement