Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lone parents allowance

Options
  • 17-05-2012 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just looking for information on lone parents allowance and putting the fathers name on the birth certificate.

Will i still be entiled to it if i name the father on the birth certificate? Will i have to look for Maintenance etc

We are not married, not living together either. :o

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Have made efforts to get maintenance from your spouse or civil partner (if your civil partner is the parent of the child/ren)
    • Be inadequately maintained by your spouse or civil partner (if your civil partner is the parent of the child/ren)
    From here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/one_parent_family_payment.html

I have no idea if the dept want both parents names on birth certs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

SW Inspectors are now demanding to see proof that a mother has tried to pursue the childs father for money for Maintenance.

Single mothers are treated more like criminals in this day and age by SW Inspectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭eddiehen

paddy147 wrote: »
    SW Inspectors are now demanding to see proof that a mother has tried to pursue the childs father for money for Maintenance.

Single mothers are treated more like criminals in this day and age by SW Inspectors.

That's actually a condition for getting payment. Has been since it became the One Parent Family Payment.
    If you are separated, divorced or your civil partnership is dissolved you must:
    • Have been living apart from your spouse or civil partner for at least 3 months
    • Have made efforts to get maintenance from your spouse or civil partner (if your civil partner is the parent of the child/ren)
    • Be inadequately maintained by your spouse or civil partner (if your civil partner is the parent of the child/ren)

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

how are you being treated by a criminal by asking the fathers name and getting him to provide for the children he brought into the world. spare me.

thats whats wrong - people seem to think they have huge entitlements - having not worked a day in their life and dont want to ask the father to contribute - this really annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭pejay

i seperated from childrens father when they were born not once could i get a penny out of him,i gave details to the SW took him to court nothing i worked bought the children up and recently my son when to live with his father at the age of 14 what happens amazing within a month i had to pay child support, not that it bothers me i have to pay for the kids until they are old enough to look after themselves what does annoy me is that the father never paid me a penny in 14 years and SW come after me after just 1 month yet he was allowed to get away with so long wonders never cease to amaze me

• Advertisement

Janet1986 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just looking for information on lone parents allowance and putting the fathers name on the birth certificate.

Will i still be entiled to it if i name the father on the birth certificate? Will i have to look for Maintenance etc

We are not married, not living together either. :o

Yes you can put the name of the father on the birth cert, and you should be able to claim lone parents but you will be asked if you have sought every way possible to get maintenance from the father and give address of where he lives.
    Not your fault you are a lone parent

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Janet1986

Thanks for the replies :)

I was just wondering myself as to why some women put father unknown on the birth certificate, more benefits etc :eek:

I was just wondering myself as to why some women put father unknown on the birth certificate, more benefits etc :eek:

I put father unknown on 2 of my childrens certs just because i wanted them in my own name no other reason

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

More benefits.. not really you receive the same whether father is on birth cert or not. Usually if father is in receipt of sw payment he will not be ordered by the courts to provide maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

my sister went to court recently her husband is on social welfare and the judge ordered 50euro a week to be paid to her from his dole.

• Advertisement
Advertisement