Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purple Fringing On Daewoo CRT Set

Options
  • 16-05-2012 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Just noticed some purple fringing near the bottom right hand side of my 21' Daewoo CRT set. Anyone know why this occurs? Is it fixable?

It's nothing overly concerning, just looking for some advice or knowledge.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Have you placed anything new - DVD Player, Media Player etc. - on a shelf under the set ? It sounds like something magnetic is interfering with the shadow-mask at the front of the screen.

Worst case scenario is a problem with the degaussing circuit within the tv. This circuit activates at power-up by applying a decaying magnetic field to cancel out any residual magnetism on the shadow-mask. Some sets only activate this circuit when power is applied and not from waking from stand-by.

Try disconnecting the tv from the power supply for about 30 mins then reconnect and see if it makes any difference. If it doesn't then a trip to a repair shop may be required. Estimated cost about 60 euro.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

ZENER wrote: »
    Have you placed anything new - DVD Player, Media Player etc. - on a shelf under the set ? It sounds like something magnetic is interfering with the shadow-mask at the front of the screen.

Worst case scenario is a problem with the degaussing circuit within the tv. This circuit activates at power-up by applying a decaying magnetic field to cancel out any residual magnetism on the shadow-mask. Some sets only activate this circuit when power is applied and not from waking from stand-by.

Try disconnecting the tv from the power supply for about 30 mins then reconnect and see if it makes any difference. If it doesn't then a trip to a repair shop may be required. Estimated cost about 60 euro.

Ken

I have a large set of PC speakers near by but they have always been there, never occured before. It seems to be gone now so but I'll follow your advice next time.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Most PC Speakers are magnetically shielded so in theory they shouldn't cause a problem.

If a set is on for a prolonged period of time without being turned off then it's possible for magnetism to build up on the screen. Once you turn it off for the night and then back on in the morning the degausser will do its job and clear the purity problems.

Glad to hear it's ok though !

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I had similar symptoms on a new display I installed some years ago.
    Nearly drove me crazy to the point of returning the monitor.

Then I discovered I had left a screwdriver on the desk underneath it.

I would not have considered the screwdriver would have had sufficient magnetism to affect it .... but it did!

Boy did I feel stupid :(

BTW .... it was not a 'deliberately' magnetised screwdriver like some you can buy.

Advertisement