Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Infected Question

Options
  • 16-05-2012 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭

I know that the people of this forum have hardened their hearts and in the case of a loved one becoming infected would bash their skulls in, with gusto.

My question is this: Would you not want to trap them somehow and see if there was a cure before sending your loved ones into the cold embrace of death?

I mean if I absolutely, without a doubt knew there was no way back, I would join the skull bashing but would no one even stop to consider the possibility of curing their loved ones and bringing them back?

Or am I just a sentimental fool that will be Zed food?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Zombies are, for all intents and purposes, re-animated corpses. Corpses are dead. You can't cure death.

I've said this previously but the best we can hope for is a vaccine to make us immune. If you're already infected it's probably too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

/thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

keep in mind, you need to be 1000% sure they are infected otherwise you have just murdered a family member :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

My question is this: Would you not want to trap them somehow and see if there was a cure before sending your loved ones into the cold embrace of death?
    I think every ones going to do this anyway regardless of the what we might say beforehand. Killing people is not something your average person can do easily, it's a known effect across many species you just don't kill your own. It's going to be even harder to do it to someone you know.

Having said that though a corpse looks very different when the person inside is gone. They barely look like the person they where.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    Zombies are, for all intents and purposes, re-animated corpses. Corpses are dead. You can't cure death

of course, it does depend on what type of Zombification has taken place. Yes, if its the reanimation of the dead, then a cure is impossible. But if its one of the other types of virus (rage, that-vodoo-snake-bite-one, etc) then there may be a cure. So you will need to know what it is before you 'kill' your nearest & dearest.

If they are actually about to chomp down on your leg, then I will have to off them. If they are wandering around the house, I might just board up the house & leave and see if a cure comes out later ......... if there is a later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

But how long would you be prepared to wait for a cure? Would you be able to bear a loved one going around as a zombie for any signifigant period of time. Also consider the state they would be in, a rotting body, twisted limbs. multiple wounds possibly a lost eye or limb. All major organs would be irrepairably damaged. If some kind of cure was found and they were brought back to life then what quality of life would they have?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

the general theory is that all zombies (regardless of type) are brain dead. any reasoning skills, memory of who they are are destroyed as part of the death process. the only parts of the brain that function are the base elements or lower functions, feeding, movement, hearing, eyesight etc. all those are maintained simply as a way for the virus to spread and some believe the virus delivers to the brain what is needed to keep these functions alive as long as possible. even the bite process is irrelevant, they dont process food or breathe oxygen. the bite is the way the virus spreads because it is generally believed that the virus resides in huge quantities in the saliva glands of the mouth.

keeping a zombie is one of the threats most people who dont understand it will face. the fact of accepting death while the person is mobile is a difficult one to grasp.People will need to accept that keeping a zombie is exactly like keeping a a dead body in your house today because you dont want to accept they are gone and a cure might appear. there is no cure, their cant be a cure because the brain damage is so extensive. in some of the books, the virus purposely causes a raging virus as a way of destroying the higher brain functions. there is no recovery from that. the higher functions like reasoning when destroyed means the person you knew is gone. with no reasoning skills they will repeat tasks that have resulted in the destruction of thousands of zombies beforehand, e.g walking off a cliff to get to you. IMHO this is one of the way mankind will eventually deal with the threat. their lack of reasoning is our strongest line of attack.

the only level of cure would be during the initial bite phase, during the viral infection, but since we have never cured a virus (so to speak) the chances of a cure of the zombie virus is highly unlikely. it is fair to reason that a virus that is this specific in its mode of transmission would be very difficult to cure. the vaccine would be a possibility. again all this is speculation and we wont know till we see the virus and since it exists in books and movies, well its a little tricky :) . one thing to consider as with every virus, there is a percentage of the population that will be naturally immune. finding these people will be incredibly important. for example most people dont realise they have already identified individuals who are naturally immune to things like the plague and the most destructive of current viral infections, aids (no i am not making it up). if i remember they also found people who are resilient to ebola (but thats from memory).

in light of all of that, its not advisable to keep granny in the shed. its a sure fire way for a mistake and a really good way to end up in the shed yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Even if a cure did come along that could fix even the most decomposed zombie back to their former glory; I for one would rather risk living with the knowledge that I killed a loved one, than hanging onto them as a zombie and potentially getting bitten.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

If they were going for me; yes.

In the ideal situation, however, I would lock them in a well fortified room.

My reason being that if anything even resembling a zombie holocaust happened the likelyhood of it being the classic Romero zombie, or any other kind that we've seen portrayed in books is slim.

If days had passed and they had started decaying, then sure. But if not, and we hadn't seen any sort of decay then whats to say a cure won't be found.

We can act like bad asses but in all honestly I doubt 90% of the people here would be able to kill a family remember if an outbreak occured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Yes i would lock all zombified family members or pets in the closet until Will Smith found a cure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Trapping a loved one instead of killing the remaining zombie would certainly feel right at the time especially as you will only see the loved one in the zombie, but it will most likely anchor you to that location, you will want to remain close to them.

Advertisement