Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carers allowance

Options
  • 16-05-2012 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all,

My folks are thinking of applying for carers allowance for my grandmother as they visit her twice daily to give her her pills and look after her meals etc. They've been doing this for years but have never needed to claim as my dads business was doing pretty well and they thought that as they own two houses they would automatically be denied.
    Obviously the downturn has put the squeeze on, so if there's a chance they could claim for my nan then why the hell not.
    So if anyone in a similar situation has claimed, I'd be very interestered in hearing how they got on.

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

To qualify for carer's allowance you need to be providing full-time care and attention to someone in need.
    I doubt visiting someone twice a day would satisfy this condition.
    The information on carer's allowance can be found here: http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/IllnessDisabilityAndCaring/Carers/CarersAllowance/Pages/ca.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 35 craicfox

Ah here, I've already read that and its for the welfare dept to decide if their eligable or not. What I'm asking for is advice fromm someone who's been throught the process

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

craicfox wrote: »
    Ah here, I've already read that and its for the welfare dept to decide if their eligable or not. What I'm asking for is advice fromm someone who's been throught the process

35 hours care at least is what is required.thats following a phone call to carers during the week. carers can be at work or education for no more than 15 hours per week. also carees must be in need of full time care and attention. means test applies. my advice is fill up the form and send it in, it costs nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    35 hours care at least is what is required.thats following a phone call to carers during the week. carers can be at work or education for no more than 15 hours per week. also carees must be in need of full time care and attention. means test applies. my advice is fill up the form and send it in, it costs nothing.

Can I ask where you got that figure of 35 hours care from??

And is that over a "7 day week"???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

paddy147 wrote: »
    Can I ask where you got that figure of 35 hours care from??

And is that over a "7 day week"???
    I rang carers and asked them. The answer used to be that there was no set amount of hours , but this seems to be the minimum now. 5 hours a day. not unreasonable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement