Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed 3 music entrance exams, devastated !!

Options
  • 16-05-2012 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

A few weeks ago I got a letter from nui maynooth that my entrance exam for music was unsuccessful , then got one today from dit saying that I didnt get in and am devastated i always wanted to study music at college! What should I do, I know there's no way of getting into the course without the entrance exams???? Please help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

My mate applied for trinity a restricted music course in trinity, he got rejected because he let slip that he prefers contempory music over classical music. He was "not of the neccesary mindset with which to excel in (his) chosen course"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

I'm really sorry to hear that. :( I know how it feels to be rejected after a music audition (last year I applied for the Dublin Youth Orchestra, was so nervous I totally messed up my sight reading and that was that). So I completely empathize.

What instrument (if any, I just realised you might just have an interest in singing) do you play and what grade are you at? If music is what you really want to do I'd suggest taking a gap year and going up a grade or two, then re-apply for your corses next year and you'll have loads of free time to practise because you won't be in school. :)

Wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭shinesun

Sorry to hear that. My sis did that exam a couple of years and did get in either.
    I really think they are very tough as she was grade 8 standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Music through arts (ie with another subject) has no interview in NUIM afaik. It is probably good practise to hedge your bets with a second subject in this climate anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭galwaymusic

Hey lcstress, Im sorry to hear it. Orators two as well and was devastated. It's very tough. I got through to the interview/audition in NUIM but thought it went badly. Hasn't heard from them yet.

You can do music through arts in NUIM and in UCD. You can always repeat, and try them next year. You will be stronger in the music exams next year and more prepared. Best of luck either way :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭plumpote

Hey lcstress,

While right now it may seems that all your options are falling apart, there's still hope! As musicmental85 said, doing another subject with music is always a good idea!

Music through Arts in NUIM (with two other subjects in 1st year and then music and 1 subject in 2nd & 3rd year) is a great course (and doesn't require an entrance exam). In 1st year BMus students study Music and 1 other subject, so it's not too different to Arts.

If by second year you still want to do 'pure' music, and are motivated, you can transfer over (I know a few people who have done this).

Best of luck with the LC, and remember, there's still hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

I'm really sorry to hear that. :( I know how it feels to be rejected after a music audition (last year I applied for the Dublin Youth Orchestra, was so nervous I totally messed up my sight reading and that was that). So I completely empathize.

What instrument (if any, I just realised you might just have an interest in singing) do you play and what grade are you at? If music is what you really want to do I'd suggest taking a gap year and going up a grade or two, then re-apply for your corses next year and you'll have loads of free time to practise because you won't be in school. :)

Wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Don't suppose the guy who rejected you for DYO was Philip Thomas? He's a bald man and red

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Eoin247 wrote: »
    Don't suppose the guy who rejected you for DYO was Philip Thomas? He's a bald man and red

Nah, I was rejected by a woman and a man who as far as I can remember had a full head of hair.

Advertisement