Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I do work experience in a medical examiner's/coroner's office?

Options
  • 16-05-2012 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi, I am currently 14 and next year I will be in Transition Year, meaning that I will have my work experience soon. It is advised that I start searching for jobs immediately, and I want to pursue a job as a person who conducts autopsies and such (coroner/medical examiner/pathologist etc).

Does anyone know if it's possible to do work experience in such places? And if so, would I be allowed to work there despite my age?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭missguided

I'm really not sure, because usually places like that wouldn't be allowed because of confidentiality (even if the person is dead, I'm sure the same thing still applies!) Still, it's worth a try, so I'd say as soon as you go into TY start researching and calling/sending letters to different coroners offices etc. because the sooner you organise your work experience, the better. I left organising mine too late and seriously regret it now, I should've put more effort into it ^.^
    If you can't do work experience there, try looking for different places similar to that career area, because you'll still get an idea of the kind of work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cheerios

Thanks for your reply! I got a PM from a previous member telling me their friend worked at a coroner's office but they only accept 1 TY student a year, so fingers crossed I'm the only one! I've just sent my letter in today, I kinda regret organising it too late too. I should of sent it when I was doing the JC. ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭missguided

You're actually really early, most people probably won't even have thought of it before school starts. good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

Wow! Fair play for wanting to do that!

I just finished TY, and I did 3 weeks (official, 6 weeks un-official (holidays and such - they liked me!)) work experience with a Special Effects Company, and I was fairly grossed out at all the dummy dead bodies and rotting body parts! I helped on a small horror film while there, and it was kinda disgusting, cause some of the gore was real sheep heart and lungs and stuff, and I nearly had to leave a few times!

But yeah, the earlier you get them in the better, friend of mine is big into computers and ended up in a play school cause he left it! (I got mine through a family member!)

All really depends on who you know from what I've seen,

But best of luck and let us know how it is if you get it!

nim

Advertisement