Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before holes close up (Wisdom Tooth Extraction)

Options
  • 16-05-2012 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

I had my upper wisdom tooth out this morning, how long before it begins to close up?

I am heading away on hols in exactly a week and want to eat/drink/smoke as much as I like without worrying about dry socket etc :D

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

Varies with the extraction (difficulty, size of roots, density of bone, upper/lower jaw, impaction, ect ect). Best to ring the dentist/oral surgeon who did your extraction for advice/an estimation of sorts.
    Meantime, it goes without saying to avoid cigarettes completely for the next week so as to minimise your risk;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

jenben1982 wrote: »
    I had my upper wisdom tooth out this morning, how long before it begins to close up?

I am heading away on hols in exactly a week and want to eat/drink/smoke as much as I like without worrying about dry socket etc :D

Nearly impossible to say...

Simple single rooted upper teeth that took a minute or so to remove will be pretty closed up with in a week or so.
    If it was a large multi root tooth that tooth 5mins or so, then it'll be longer (2-3 weeks)
    If it was a very difficult surgical extraction, then it is very variable (1-3 weeks) depending on many factors....

Don't smoke

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Jaybee

It took approx 20 seconds to take out (Honestly)

I can feel it with my tongue and it feels rough now - would that be the scab forming over it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

I had my second molar extracted on Monday. I think it was the second - just checked a chart online.:)

When you talk about how long to remove - at what stage does one begin timing?

Not being funny but is it just when he grabs it with the forceps etc. or when he begins to loosen it with the other tools?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Well whatever the case take as good care of it as possible, I got dry socket there a few months ago and it was torture!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MangoLime

I had my wisdom teeth taken out a few years ago and I remember I was able to eat after a week-but very slowly and carefully. I think to recover completely (stitches fully dissolved, etc), it took me about a month.

I guess it's different for everyone. Just be careful.

Advertisement