Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not married 2 kids and seperated!

Options
  • 16-05-2012 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I have recently seperated from my long term partner. We have a house and two kids. I am currently staying in my parents house. My ex for some reason thinks she will be staying in the house with the kids and i will have to pay for half the house and give her maintence. The annoying thing is that i paid for the house and practically everything in it. We are not married and i think that the house should be sold or for her to take over the mortgage though this would not be possible for her as she does not earn enough! The house is in negative equity but not by much €20 grand or so! Any way if i did have to pay half the mortgage and maintenence i reckon that i would be paying out the same amount as the mortgage i will never be able to afford a place of my own again! I will never leave my kids short and whatever maintenence she is awarded i will pay! But i don't think it is fair that i should be made to pay this mortgage. Can i force a sale of the house it is in both our names! We are supposed to be going to mediation soon but i want to know what to say and do when i get in there so i don't get screwed over too much. Thanks in advance....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I was thinking it was your place end of up to the point where you said both names are on the house. It would be in your best interests to seek legal advice and arm yourself with information before mediation. You might want to be fair to your kids etc, but you need to know what is fair here. You will need to be able to build a life of your own, so you can only give what is reasonable here.

Advertisement