Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for new Oven/Hob

Options
  • 16-05-2012 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭

Hi.

we are thinking of getting a new Oven (electric, has to fit into the slot the old oven occupies under our kitchen top, self cleaning(maybe)) and Hob (gas more than likely assuming its not too expensive to get fitted)

Does anyone have any recommendations of brands or shops to buy in? I was hoping to have a good idea of what i'm looking for before i go near a shop.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,388 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You'd need to give us a steer as to your budget - if money is no object then Neff make excellent self-cleaning fan ovens and matching gas hobs but they're at the top end of the price scale.

Go to Harvey Norman and/or Power City and/or the larger branches of DID to touch and feel and check prices. You do not need to know what brand you're looking for before going to the stores, go with an open mind and take a look at all of the models on display.

For the oven, bear in mind that you will definitely need to buy a replacement grill element a few years down the line so do not buy some oddball brand or you will find it difficult to get parts.

Be aware that the floor sales staff will usually push you towards one or two brands which this month are giving them good commission or kickbacks, do not listen to them. If you need answers to any technical questions, make a note of the make and model and check it on the web when you get home, or pick up a few brochures. If you see a member of the sales staff heading your way, start looking at low-value items like hair dryers or toasters and they will drift away without bothering you!

If you buy a gas hob, make sure you get an RGI to install it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

coylemj wrote: »
    You'd need to give us a steer as to your budget - if money is no object then Neff make excellent self-cleaning fan ovens and matching gas hobs but they're at the top end of the price scale.

Go to Harvey Norman and/or Power City and/or the larger branches of DID to touch and feel and check prices. You do not need to know what brand you're looking for before going to the stores, go with an open mind and take a look at all of the models on display.

For the oven, bear in mind that you will definitely need to buy a replacement grill element a few years down the line so do not buy some oddball brand or you will find it difficult to get parts.

Be aware that the floor sales staff will usually push you towards one or two brands which this month are giving them good commission or kickbacks, do not listen to them. If you need answers to any technical questions, make a note of the make and model and check it on the web when you get home, or pick up a few brochures. If you see a member of the sales staff heading your way, start looking at low-value items like hair dryers or toasters and they will drift away without bothering you!

If you buy a gas hob, make sure you get an RGI to install it.

Not trying to be funny, but that's poor advice. Not all sales staff will just push toward a certain brand, let them at least ask a few questions even if they are going to go back and research themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭nedd

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, i think we will be looking at a budget of around €700 to €1000 all in.

One thing I am really looking for in the oven is the ability to cook on a couple of shelves at the same time. I made so quiche the other day and had 2 in the oven. It was supposed to take about 30min but they ended up in the over for over an hour. That was the last straw really.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,388 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

nedd wrote: »
    One thing I am really looking for in the oven is the ability to cook on a couple of shelves at the same time. I made so quiche the other day and had 2 in the oven. It was supposed to take about 30min but they ended up in the over for over an hour. That was the last straw really.

Are you implying that the the quiches soaked up so much heat that the oven had a hard time keeping up at the required temperature? If so then you deffo need a fan oven. They heat up much faster and you can even set the thermostat to a lower temperature than for the same dish in a conventional convection oven. That's what Delia says anyway and she's never wrong!

Take a look at what's on offer in the bigger stores I mentioned. Do not buy them separatley as you may end up with an oven or hob and then find that you can't find a match in the other unit (especially if you buy an end of line model) or it's too expensive. Pick both before you buy and then haggle.

Advertisement