Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SilverCrest Backlit Universal Remote Control w/ LCD: €6.99

Options
  • 16-05-2012 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

Bought two of these in LIDL these morning:

scaled.php?server=38&filename=dsc00015sz.jpg&res=landing

Have it working with all of TVs, Stereos, DVD player, and even HP USB TV Tuner via Windows Media Centre.

The backlighting of keys is accessed via a special on/off button, so no need to drain the battery during the day.

Feels very solidly built and the manual is excellent also; more a small book really.

Haven't tried the 'programmable macro button' function yet but ALL OFF works great (seven devices with one press of a button).

Comes with batteries also which makes it even greater value.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

and even HP USB TV Tuner via Windows Media Centre.

Can it do the right-click function in Windows Media Centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

frash wrote: »
    Can it do the right-click function in Windows Media Centre?

No, but then even my HP USB remote won't do that (for whatever reason) and it's specially made for use with WMC.

scaled.php?server=9&filename=dsc00016rt.jpg&res=landing

No, but then even my HP USB remote won't do that (for whatever reason) and it's specially made for use with WMC.

Thanks for checking.
    I have a USB tuner & a satellite card & neither of their remotes will do the right-click function.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Anyone know if this Is compatible with UPC box?
    Bought two of these in LIDL these morning:

scaled.php?server=38&filename=dsc00015sz.jpg&res=landing

Have it working with all of TVs, Stereos, DVD player, and even HP USB TV Tuner via Windows Media Centre.

The backlighting of keys is accessed via a special on/off button, so no need to drain the battery during the day.

Feels very solidly built and the manual is excellent also; more a small book really.

Haven't tried the 'programmable macro button' function yet but ALL OFF works great (seven devices with one press of a button).

Comes with batteries also which makes it even greater value.

Thanks for checking.
    I have a USB tuner & a satellite card & neither of their remotes will do the right-click function.

Okay, think I have it ..

When you say 'right-click' function, you're referring to the menu that comes up when you 'right click' on a TV programme in the EPG, right?

Well, have found that if you select PC on the remote and then set it to Microsoft, it controls Windows Media Centre and using it this way, you can use the Info key to bring up the Menu (Program Details, Record, Record Series, Search, View Categories, Edit Channel, Settings) on programmes in the Guide.

Having owned quite a few Saorview set top boxes (Ariva 120 etc) I can honestly say using WMC and a decent USB Tuner is a far better way to go with regards to EPG and Series Link. Only downside was finding a decent remote for when you hook it up to a TV.

Another excellent thing about this remote is that the codes are all stored in it's system memory. So no need to type in the codes manually; you just scroll through them and keep using the volume key (or similar) until you find the one that controls your TV or DVD player.

Only negative so far is that the menu direction buttons (<^>) make a click when selected whereas all other buttons are silent and would have preferred that these four were too also. That's the only negative so far though.

If you want me to test for any specific function on WMC, just let me know and I'll take a look.

• Advertisement

g0g wrote: »

Which company makes the UPC boxes? I'll check the manual to make sure codes are listed for them.

Okay, think I have it ..

When you say 'right-click' function, you're referring to the menu that comes up when you 'right click' on a TV programme in the EPG, right?

Well, have found that if you select PC on the remote and then set it to Microsoft, it controls Windows Media Centre and using it this way, you can use the Info key to bring up the Menu (Program Details, Record, Record Series, Search, View Categories, Edit Channel, Settings) on programmes in the Guide.

Having owned quite a few Saorview set top boxes (Ariva 120 etc) I can honestly say using WMC and a decent USB Tuner is a far better way to go with regards to EPG and Series Link. Only downside was finding a decent remote for when you hook it up to a TV.

Another excellent thing about this remote is that the codes are all stored in it's system memory. So no need to type in the codes manually; you just scroll through them and keep using the volume key (or similar) until you find the one that controls your TV or DVD player.

Only negative so far is that the menu direction buttons (<^>) make a click when selected whereas all other buttons are silent and would have preferred that these four were too also. That's the only negative so far though.

If you want me to test for any specific function on WMC, just let me know and I'll take a look.

Cool - thanks for the further investigation :D

That's what I meant by 'right-click' alright.

I'm used to using a wireless mouse but this remote should keep the mother-in-law happy when she's babysitting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

g0g wrote: »
    I use it with the UPC HD Cisco box - it works fine using Cable as source rather than STB (Set Top box), as far as can I remember I had to use the learning feature for some functions. For some reason I couldn't get Power On to work but Power Off does work, but channel + works for Power On, for times that you don't want to use the Macro function to turn all your devices on at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

How are you getting these to work WMC? Does it come with a sensor for the PC?

Cool - thanks for the further investigation :D

That's what I meant by 'right-click' alright.

Grand, no bother.

Used the 'Learning' function last night as there was a 'Source' button on my Sony TV remote which I used quite a bit. The two remotes just need to be held head to head a short distance apart and it's quite straight forward to copy the function of any button of your old remotes to this one.

Backlit time can also be set with a choice of 3,5, 10 and 15 secs and there is a parental lock feature also which can be applied if you have kids and would rather that they couldn't change the channel. If they are over 5 though, wouldn't bother (as it's not done via a pin).

Oh and it has a calculator of all things.

• Advertisement

MoodeRator wrote: »
    How are you getting these to work WMC? Does it come with a sensor for the PC?

It has a Microsoft setting and when selected works fine with my HP USB TV Tuner which has an infrared receiver on it.

If your Laptop/PC has an infrared receiver, should work also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Picked up one of these yesterday. Having all the codes built-in is a nice touch (I always lose the manual), the buttons are a little slow to respond, but for €6.99 it is a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

It has a Microsoft setting and when selected works fine with my HP USB TV Tuner which has an infrared receiver on it.

If your Laptop/PC has an infrared receiver, should work also.

I have an ifrared receiver somewhere, but sadly no idea where the CD is for the driver :(

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

Presumably if it works with UPC it'll work with sky? Any cheap USB infra red receivers floating around?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

MoodeRator wrote: »
    I have an ifrared receiver somewhere, but sadly no idea where the CD is for the driver :(
    IR receivers are fairly bog-standard. Windows more than likely will have its own compatible driver.

Advertisement