Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Wick Material Issue

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Would cotton not burn?

I am a little concerned about the silica wicks. Once or twice after using the imist I felt like almost like I had a tiny needle stuck in the back of my throat and couldn't help thinking maybe it was a strand of wick that had worked it's way through.

I'm using cartos at the moment which are much better in that regard I think, but still have their own issues with filler. I'm looking forward to getting a RDA/RTA and being able to use a stainless steel mesh wick. SS mesh can be used to wick lots of devices too, you might want to consider that over cotton?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i was reading the same threads alright, few people saying cotton is better for flavour and wicking and as long as you keep it wet it wont burn

as stevenmu says mesh is probably the way to go, or even a hybrid wick silica and mesh

also if you run a lighter over your wick before you make the coil, wont that burn off any of the loose strands? and then after a while once it has soaked up enough juice they wont be escaping anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭alec76

i was reading about it before .....
    Here the original topic by EvilGrym he's the one who raised the issue
    http://www.ecigtalk.ru/forum/f16/t11579.html
    It is hard to know if there is a real threat or not ,unless some serious lab tests could prove it .
    Meanwhile -- SS wick is definitely healthier option , no doubt.......
    Creator of Genisis (Raidy) was always looking for the most healthiest way of vaping
    His idea -- Atty has to be made only with the Food /medical grade materials
    Big No to Aluminium, Brass , Teflon , fiberglass etc

someone over on ukvapers has used a hybrid silica/mesh in their RTA
    not just wrapping the mesh around the silica where the heating wire goes, but all around the entire length of the silica

i dont know if it would imrpove performance, but it would trap any potential silica fibres.. might also work in the RDA although i'd imagine it'd be alot fiddlier considering how the wick has to sit in the RDA chamber

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭alec76

someone over on ukvapers has used a hybrid silica/mesh in their RTA
    I dont think hybrid wick is a good idea ,well , some people just gave up on getting mesh wicking properly ,Hybrid wick kinda lazy way out -- it is way easier to get it right with hybrid

• Advertisement

yeah but mesh is fiddlier in an RDA (be better in the RTA alright)
    it has to stand up in the RDA so it can like.. fall over, or move slightly and reseat the wires etc etc
    at least with the silica it's always just lounging around there in the bottom of the chamber

actually since I should have two RDAS next week I would like to try one of these alternate wicks

where would I buy cheesecloth in Ireland? its getting good reviews over on ECF

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I looked this up recently and I can't for the life of me remember why (may have been for brewing beer), but you can get it here :

http://www.homebrewwest.ie/cheese-presses-cheese-cloth-mats-curd-cutters-cheese-labels-192-c.asp

damn, expensive enough
    8 euro inc delivery for 50cmx50cm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

It's called Muslin as well.
    Couple of shops in Bray here that might have it, sure as hell won't be saying i wanna smoke the stuff though :D

• Advertisement

derra wrote: »
    It's called Muslin as well.
    Couple of shops in Bray here that might have it, sure as hell won't be saying i wanna smoke the stuff though :D

well i wouldnt go around saying i wanted to smoke fibreglass or stainless steel either :P

Advertisement