Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CEL immediately after a full service

Options
  • 15-05-2012 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭

Hi

'02 Hyundai Accent here, been through a rough patch, got new battery, brakes, exhaust work done recently enough, and the car had been a bit sluggish the past few days

Decided that it was best to get a service to either sort the sluggishness out or else they'd find something and let me know what the story was

Anyhow, I left the car in and they said come back later on. Grand. I heard nothing from them all day so I though, great, nothing is up or they'd have called to get the go ahead to repair something. Got back as they were closing and I asked how everything was... All good. No problems, see you next time.

Turned down the road onto the dual carriageway and tada, in your face, a nice big flashing orange check engine light for me

Thankfully, I have an OBD reader so I have attached the logs of the OBD. I'm trying to find out what the problem is

So, what I would like to know... Any ideas on what could be causing the fault and should it have been noticed as part of the service. Full service with 58 point check btw!... Should the mechanic have said, hey XYZ is up??

If they drive it any length, it would have been obvious something is up, the CEL was the first I saw of it, it had been sluggish like I said but no CEL before the service

Especially weird is the cylinder misfire code, they replaced the sparks, I will check to be sure but they check list says so (and it'd be a really bad service if they weren't replaced!!!!). I did specifically say before I left it in that the HT leads looked a bit worn car was a bit slow and to check the leads and replace them if there was a problem but to call me if anything came up

Maybe i'm off, maybe i'm wrong but to me it's a bit like being a little ill, so you go to the doctor, the doctor gives you a clean bill of health and you walk out the door and take a heart attack, you wouldn't be too impressed

I'll ring the garage tomorrow but want to know what I should do/say first!!

Thanks

Here's the OBD output :)
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13154434/Trouble%20Codes.pdf
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Did you tell them when you left it in that you had a running problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Sounds like they didn't do a good job at all at 'servicing' your car to be honest.

According to Google, fault code P0441 is indicitive of 'Purge Control Valve' failure, and it's not exactly unheard of those cars to suffer from this fault (whatever a Purge Control Valve is). Symptons of this valve failing are general rough running and poor idling.

It is entirely possible that once this is fixed, and the MIL (engine light) is fixed, the other fault codes will go with this as well, but I'm sure people with more knowledge of Hyundais than me will be able to say something more definite than this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Did you tell them when you left it in that you had a running problem?

Just said it was a bit off, that was it. I wasn't 100% sure what the problem was, so thought maybe it was just a good service that was needed, if I saw the CEL yesterday I would definitely brought it to be diagnosed as opposed to a general service. I was kinda hoping that if anything obvious was causing the sluggishness, then it'd be pointed out, but I did ask before I left was everything OK and did they find anything

The thing is though if you drive it, it's so obvious now that its losing power

I wanted to know if this would generally be something a service would uncover or was it my fault for not very specifically asking did you find out why my car was so slow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

All to many garages will just service the car, give it a quick look over and say its grand unless you specifically say your having an issue.

They should, of course, test drive the car before they start but many won't bother.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

I had a mare of a time with my accord, some garages should not be in business at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement