Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supercompact

Options
  • 15-05-2012 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭

I'm new to this thread. I decided I wanted to try some bird photography and looked at a Canon D550 or 600 body with a decent 500mm lens. The weight alone convinced me that I would not get value out of this kit, not to mention the need to lug a sturdy tripod as well.

Local Camera Shop suggested I try a Nikon P510, just released. Optical zoom 1000mm, digital zoom 2000mm. Fired off a few shots from the shop door, haggled a bit for price with bag and memory and said "Life is short, I'll take it".

My main target is seabirds, waders, terns, gulls etc. But I'm practicing in the back garden near the bird feeder.

Two shots for comments.
    First is a full frame of Great Tit; Great%20Tit.JPG

Second is a cropped image of Blue Tit; Blue%20Tit.JPG

Comments on image/lens quality welcome.
    GE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭dinneenp

nice camera, nice shots.

A lot of people turn their noses up at bridge cameras. I don't, had a Panasonic TZ28 (or similar) before and loved it.
    Great all rounder- macro, very long zoom (go to settings and turn off digital zoom), tilt screen etc.
    enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

Hi Dinneenp,
    I suppose 'bridge camera' is a more accurate term than supercompact. My first ever digital camera in 2004 was an Olympus 8080, much the same 'bridge' family with a superb lens but light years short of the capabilities of the P510. I still have it but it has no value as cameras are no longer supported with spare parts after 7 years.

Decades ago I used to lug a bag full SLR equipment and accessories everywhere I went but I'm a little wiser now. If one bridge camera will do 'the lot' why bother carry anything else.
    GE

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭dinneenp

It does the lot but is a jack of all trades. I think the main advantages of a dslr are
    Low light capabilities (lens really)
    Blurred background for portraits
    Quicker response time

I do have a dslr now, love it but still appreciate a bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I've been lusting after the Sony nex 7; DSLR-quality sensor and a fledgling lens system, but full support for legacy manual lenses. Its pretty compact compared to a DSLR but still has an electronic viewfinder, built in flash, 24megapixel sensor etc. Its almost €1300 though.. Might opt for the cheaper nex f3 announced in the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

My first 'pro' camera (or so I thought) was a bridge camera which was the FujiFilm S7000 -it was amazing and took some great pics, but what I hated about it was the fact that it took 4 AA batteries...(they still do)
    I sold it on last year and bought my first REAL camera, the Sony A300 and have got 3 good lenses for it and havent looked back.
    The bridge cameras can be amazing too, and I just bought another Fuji S5600 on ebay for 50 euros for my 14 year old to get her started.
    I liked my old Fuji cos it had a micro macro setting that worked really well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

Thanks for all your comments. I'll be posting shots taken on the P510 again soon. Very happy with it so far and did not cost the earth for what is quite a high spec. Battery takes ages to recharge.
    GE

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭talkin

How are you finding it? Deciding at the moment what to get myself.

Advertisement