Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness benefits of giving up smoking

Options
  • 15-05-2012 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone
    Have people who have given up noticed real changes in their fitness levels and overall health? I really want to give them up and get fit. I can not run at the moment without nearly keeling over:eek: Somebody give me some motivation please:o:D:D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

ya give them up, you can breath better for sure

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Nearly 6 months off them now and the difference is amazing.

Definitly a lot fitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Makes a huge difference.

You know where I notice it the most? When I crack up laughing. I used to laugh myself into a wheezy cough and not be able to get any air in. Now the airways are able to cope with a good laugh!

Ive been doing a couch to 5k since I quit. There is absolutely no way I could have done that as a smoker. When I ran before, I used to get pains in my chest, couldnt get the air in, wheezing, massive blood pressurey feeling of pounding in my head, feeling like death warmed up for hours afterwards.

None of the above now. Part of it is general fitness, but its impossible to get truly aerobically fit while your lungs arent working properly.

I swim 3 times a week and I used to do pilates as well and had myself convinced I was fit. I wasnt. I had great stamina and I was strong. But Id run out of air the minute I upped the exertion level.

Now that I run I can feel the difference.

Dont expect a sudden change though. I havent run in 20 years. It takes time to build up, the body creaks and complains. Im like a rickety rusty old tin soldier when I start, it takes a couple of minutes for the joints to oil up. I lurch along like a zombie towards the end of the run sometimes making a loud moaning noise :)
    But Im pleased to say its leg strength that usually stops me, not lack of air anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

I was an average enough smoker round 20 a day, off them now just over 2 months. Started to notice a small difference as soon as the 3rd day. Breathing was easier and was sleeping better.I wasnt particularly unhealthy before (apart from smoking) and im only 26 so there wasnt a massive change in my health, but I do feel way better now. You do notice at certain times that your not out of breath when you think you should be. For example, I go for a jog now once or twice a week and im not a crippeled wheezing mess after the first couple of kilometers like I would have been before. I dont get the horrific hangovers any more after a night on the sauce, that was a bit of a surprise alright :D But yea, say when your off the smokes a couple of weeks start by going out on walks and after the first month or so ease into the couch to 5k.

You can do it Ziggy!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Played rugby as a smoker, then played as a non smoker. Got a man of the match and in general I got a lot more positive comments on performance after I gave up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

djk1000 wrote: »
    Played rugby as a smoker, then played as a non smoker. Got a man of the match and in general I got a lot more positive comments on performance after I gave up.

And did they notice that your rugby probably improved as well !:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Thanks guys am hoping to start tomorrow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

ziggy23 wrote: »

Go for it!!! Sex life gets better too - whooo hoooo!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Lt. Palumbo

I was really heavy when I smoked and since quitting I've exercised a fair amount and lost about 70lbs (5 stone) to date. Being able to actually breath really helped with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭frulewis

fair play to you for turning quitting into something positive, five stone that's amazing! I've about that to lose am starting couch to 5k on Wednesday fingers crossed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭remembering

I was really heavy when I smoked and since quitting I've exercised a fair amount and lost about 70lbs (5 stone) to date. Being able to actually breath really helped with that :)

wow congrats on the huge weight loss!! thats amazing..

im off them since january and im up about a stone but ive copped on now with the food and tryin to exercise more..i dont feel any fitter though that ive stopped but im sure my insides are improving though!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Arthur74

Stopping the smoking provides your feelings of smell and taste a boost. The body is dealing with being dulled by the countless toxic chemicals present in cigarettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭DenMan

I had my last cigarette on Christmas Eve 2010 and have been off them since. I am so much more fitter now than I have ever been in my life. I go jogging and hiking and have so much more stamina now. It's great OP. I'm male (32)

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

ziggy23 wrote: »

So did ye??

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

I used to loose all feeling in 3 of my toes when out in the cold winter nights walking around shops, pubs etc.

Now I never get that sensation and I know it was all to do with the fags. I keep thinking that if I kept on smoking then maybe amputating something was in my future. Was never going to let that happen.

after 2 weeks you'll definetely notice yourself not gasping after walking or running so much and you'll notice the more you do it the easier it is, which will then make you feel happy with yourself and that is extra motiviation as to why you stopped.Months down the line you'll never even think of why you kept smoking for so long.

Benefits all round after week2 - now keep going to week 3

Advertisement