Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extended stay in Dublin?

Options
  • 15-05-2012 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi everyone,

My partner and I are looking for accommodation in Dublin City for the month of July. We're looking for an apartment for just the two of us at a reasonable price. We both work in the online world so internet access is a must. When we're not working in the apartment, we plan to go out and enjoy everything that Dublin has to offer.

Ideally, we want a sublet or short-term apartment rental. I've looked around on Craigslist, Gumtree, Daft, AirBNB but I'm wondering if anyone has any personal experience, advice or leads about short-term rentals in the city?

We've set a budget of about $1000.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Daft.ie and Myhome.ie are your best bet for Irish rentals, long term or short term. However, getting an apt for $1,000 (or approx 600 euros, depending on the exchange rate) in the heart of the city, in the peak of tourist season, with utilities included, is going to be very, very hard. A lot of places would charge that amount per week.

I'd suggest looking at universities and colleges who rent out their student accommodation when students are away for the summer. Your could also try focusing your search out in the suburbs. However, the supply in the 'burbs won't be great, as the target market for short term rentals (tourists and business people) would prefer to be in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 goawaylisa

Hi ProudDUB, thank you for your reply. We would prefer to be in the city also. I have tried the student accommodation - Trinity and Griffith are the only ones in the city and they're all booked up.

Ideally, I'd love to get a sublet, someone going on vacation and willing to rent out their place. I'll keep asking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

There are plenty of places like that around the city. The problem is your budget. In the US you can get a lot of great apts for $1,000. I know. I rented plenty of them when I lived there. In central Dublin, 600 euros is not a lot of money when it comes to long term accommodation, never mind the more expensive short term variety. I found that out the hard way last year when I moved back here and was looking for a short term rental to use as a base while I looked for somewhere more long term.

If you filter your search on Daft to North City or South City and your weekly budget of approx 150 euros, there are some apartments available within your budget. They are out in the suburbs, but that no big deal. Public transport is very good here & much safer and more commonly used than it is in the US. Being a 15/20 minute Dart. Luas tram or bus ride away from town isn't all that big of a deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Moved from Travel for better/local responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 goawaylisa

Thanks Piliger for the link. It might be just what I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

goawaylisa wrote: »
    We've set a budget of about $1000.

Even for self-catering accommodation, you would be lucky to get week for that budget. People have been known to do house-swaps if you're interested in that approach. You should find information easily enough on Google.

Advertisement