Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW golf engine comatibility - BRU anf BKC

Options
  • 15-05-2012 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

The timing belf on my 1.9 Litre SE TDi golf went. Great! Apparently there may be internal damage to the valves etc. so I'm told it might be easier and cheaper to replace the engine (really didn't need the hassle!) Anyway I tracked down a BKC model engine and am told by some places that it is compatible with my BRU engine while others say it's not. Can anyone confirm one way or the other please? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

I would say the chances are that they are interchangeable but I have never attempted it so can't say for definite.

The belts don't often break on those 1.9TDIs, do you know why it happened?

Sometimes when they do suffer belt failure they do a lot of damage to the head which could be why you are being advised to change the engine.

However I will say that it is almost always cheaper to repair an engine after timing belt failure than to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

They said that the tensioner sheared off so the belt went slack, the belt then broke its casing and the mechanic said that there may be internal engine damage (maybe valve damage?). Said he'd done this before a few times and estimated €1200-1300. I can get an engine (with over 100,000 fewer km's than my own) delivered for €560 so I think that might be the best option no? Thanks for your help!

If you do the maths on it you will find that the total job will cost more if you go for the engine replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

I agree with George, Repair normally costs the same as or even less then a replacement engine over all but with a repair(read, proper repair) you are getting your own engine back in as new condition rather then a second hand engine of unknown service history/use.

The engine may cost €560, but factor in labour for fitting, service parts, new timing belt kit, water pump etc etc.

If your mechanic has the right equipment then he should be able to tell you what damage has been done without stripping the engine.

Right...hadn't factored in new timing belt and water pumps etc. Oh dear. My mechanic was going to swap out old engine for new one for €250 so I thought I was onto a winner. Thought I was going to save a few quid the other way. OK I guess I'll go and have think about this. Not good either way but what you guys say makes sense. Thanks!

• Advertisement

Issac wrote: »
    Right...hadn't factored in new timing belt and water pumps etc. Oh dear. My mechanic was going to swap out old engine for new one for €250 so I thought I was onto a winner. Thought I was going to save a few quid the other way. OK I guess I'll go and have think about this. Not good either way but what you guys say makes sense. Thanks!

The reason for the timing belt etc is that you are unlikely to have any idea when or if they were changed on the second hand engine so it would be wise to change them so you don't risk ending up back in the same situation again.

Look at it logically:

Repair option, parts needed:
    Timing belt kit
    Water pump
    Coolant
    Oil filter
    Oil

Plus repairs to cylinder head, new head gasket and head bolts

Replace option, parts required:
    Timing belt kit
    Water pump
    Coolant
    Oil filter
    Oil

Plus replacement engine

So the only difference in cost for parts is the cost of the replacement engine vs the cost of repairing the cylinder head plus the gasket and bolts. The repair will almost certainly be cheaper unless the head is damaged beyond repair.

Now look at the labour, there is less work involved in removing and refitting the cylinder head compared to removing the old engine, swapping over all the ancillaries and refitting.

Repair is the way to go IMO....

I just assumed that timing belts etc. came with a new engine (shows how much I know about the subject!). OK. Looks like I'm just going to get the repairs done. Do you think a the estimate of €1200-1300 is in line with this kind of repair? Thanks!

The secondhand engine will come with a (used) timing belt on it but as you don't know the history of that engine you would be advised to fit a new timing belt to avoid a repeat of the situation you are in now.

€1200 sounds a bit expensive to me unless there is extensive damage done to the head.

As above, I'd think that €1200+ is a bit expensive for that engine. I'd be expecting around the 1k mark or even slightly under depending on the extent of the damage as there are only 8 valves so labour for fitting/lapping etc is less.

1 Point though....If your mechanic didn't want to do this repair in the first place, I'd be weary of letting him do it now as it says something(to me anyway, and others in the trade I'd imagine) about his interest in the job.

• Advertisement

Hi and thanks for the replies. I said I'd give an update. I got the loan of a tow truck and managed to get it back to a mechanic I know. He had a quick look Saturday morning and thinks there is some internal damage done. Says worst case scenario is about €800 but thinks it'll come in less then that depending on what he finds when he totally strips it down. Saved myself quite a few quid by the sounds of it! I'll let ye know what he finds when I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭PANADOL

Issac wrote: »
    Hi and thanks for the replies. I said I'd give an update. I got the loan of a tow truck and managed to get it back to a mechanic I know. He had a quick look Saturday morning and thinks there is some internal damage done. Says worst case scenario is about €800 but thinks it'll come in less then that depending on what he finds when he totally strips it down. Saved myself quite a few quid by the sounds of it! I'll let ye know what he finds when I do.
    so whar was the cost in the end, my bkc engine seized up yesterday so iam now in the same boat any advice welcome :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Old thread lock.

Feel free to PM the user when the threads are several years old.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement