Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on 1 year part time postgrad, law graduate

Options
  • 15-05-2012 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I hope I'm in the right forum. My sister graduated last year from trinity (law) and was due to start working with one of the big Dublin law firms this May. she sat the FE1's in March and passed 7 out of the 8. This means that the firm will not take her on until this time next year. They rang her the other day asking what her plans are for the year. She told them that she had planned to keep working her part time job that she has been working at for the past 6 years, through college. They pretty much told her that this is not good enough that she would have to do something to progress professionally, they suggested something that showed initiative and entrepreneurship, such as setting up her own business or a course. Now the problem with that is we are not in the position financially to set up a business, plus to do this in twelve months would be a bit of a stretch even if we had the finance behind us.

Her other option is a course. She was told to 'diversify' so something not law related. She will have to do this part time as she will have to work to finance herself for the year. She was thinking something in finance, it has to be part time for one year, so I was just wondering if any of you had any advice for her, I am studying in a completely unrelated discipline but I would love to be able to get some info for her to help her out.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Is she able to do a 1 year full time postgrad while working part time? I think she'd be entitled to have her fees paid for that way.

Advertisement