Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Measles out break in Cork

Options
  • 15-05-2012 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭

I just wanted to make parents aware, who have pre teens and teens who didn't get the MMR all those years ago when the scare was on, that they can still get it administered to their kid, for free by their GP.

I my two didn't get the MMR back then but I made an appointment with the family go over the Christmas holidays so that they got it then and had part of the holidays to recover.

It is harsher on thier system, then if they had of had it as a baby,
    both of them just about fainted in the drs office and they are due the second shot soon. Still I am glad they got it done.

If you kid missed it back then, then consider getting it done, talk to your GP.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/up-to-25-children-contract-measles-in-west-cork-551534.html
    The HSE has said 25 children have been diagnosed with measles in west Cork in the past four weeks.

Those affected are mainly aged between 12 and 18, and none of them have had the MMR vaccine.

Experts said that siblings of those who have the illness and have not been vaccinated should stay out of school for the incubation period to make sure they don't pass it on.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/up-to-25-children-contract-measles-in-west-cork-551534.html#ixzz1uwz1RgAr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Another completely avoidable outbreak.

Disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I must ask our family doctor whether anything was ever decided by the HSE about the MMR and giving a booster shot in 6th class. My son got Mumps in 6th class despite having all his shots being up to date. It also happened to my niece. Apparently is was only then coming to light that the protection that the Mumps element of the MMR shot and then booster given in Junior infants might only last a certain of time. He only had a very light case - has to be confirmed with two sets of blood tests (results sent to the HSE) but my niece was pretty bad with it. Apparently this failure on the part of the vaccination might account for the clusters of Mumps that break out every so often in teens.

So it is not always a failure on the part of the parents to ensure that their children are vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

When vaccinating there will always be a proportion of people who don't develop immunity. That's where the concept of 'herd immunity' comes in. For mumps this is 75%-86% of the population, i.e. once that proportion of the community have immunity the disease fails to spread. This protects those who are unable to be vaccinated and those too young to have recevied MMR.

Advertisement