Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung S2-clueless smart phone virgin questions! HELP?

Options
  • 15-05-2012 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hey,

Sorry for my naivety here! :o

If anyone can help answer my questions it would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm just worried about using all my data and ending up with a big bill next month, first smart phone and bill for me.

So I have a few questions relating to my Samsung S2 please.

What do these mean and will they use data?

1. Allow installation of non market services.

2. Running services - When I went into this it showed lots of things like board deals and DRM content with MB numbers beside it, I don't even know why board deals would be there I haven't downloaded any apps?

3. Use wireless networks - Should I tick this so it always looks for them, does that use a lot of battery?

4. In Privacy there is an option to 'Back up data' & also 'Auto restore' should I tick these what are they?

5. In Accounts & Sync 'Background data' and 'Auto Sync' are ticked what does that mean?

6. Also should I log out of the gmail account on my home page or once I have it closed is it ok?

Thanks a million for any help!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

swanangel wrote: »
    So I have a few questions relating to my Samsung S2 please.

What do these mean and will they use data?

1. Allow installation of non market services.
    All this does is allow you to download and install apps (APKs which are kind of like exes on computers) manually using your browser. Unless you do that often, don't bother with this option.
    2. Running services - When I went into this it showed lots of things like board deals and DRM content with MB numbers beside it, I don't even know why board deals would be there I haven't downloaded any apps?
    Are you sure you didn't download BoardsDeals from Google Play? Unless boards.ie have struck a deal with Samsung (Which I doubt) it would have had to been installed by you or someone else. In any case... the MB numbers are the size of the application and not the amount of data used so no worries there. In any case, these running services are apps that run in the background that allow for things like your phone constantly having up to date email e.t.c. It just means you can be synchronised with all your accounts without necessarily having to open the app itself.
    3. Use wireless networks - Should I tick this so it always looks for them, does that use a lot of battery?
    Is that for the GPS? If so, it helps you get a lock quicker. I wouldn't keep it on unless you're actively using the GPS though.
    4. In Privacy there is an option to 'Back up data' & also 'Auto restore' should I tick these what are they?
    What it says on the tin. Google backs up some of your settings e.t.c. on the phone so that if you get a new phone it'll automatically transfer the settings on to it.
    5. In Accounts & Sync 'Background data' and 'Auto Sync' are ticked what does that mean?
    This *can* use data. Basically, auto sync just means the phone constantly keeps up to date or synchronised with all your accounts (Facebook, Email accounts e.t.c.). If you turn it off you'll have to either sync manually or open each individual app whenever you want to check your emails e.t.c.
    6. Also should I log out of the gmail account on my home page or once I have it closed is it ok?
    No need to log out. You're permanently logged in to your GMail account on the phone anyway. As an aside, check out the "GMail" app on your phone. It's much handier than using the browser. The same goes for almost all services.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭kc56

Samsung Ireland have probably done a deal with Boards deals, daft.ie, and Adverts.ie so these apps are pre-installed on the SGS2 but they be turned off.

Be aware of the Samgsung Push service assocated with Samgsung Apps - it is a battery guzzler due to excessing wakelocks (keep phone awake)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭swanangel

partyatmy gaff!, I really appreciate the time it took to answer my questions, thanks so much!:D

Not so worried about having a huge data bill now, I just got 500mb on my deal but I have Wifi at home and internet in work so should be ok unless I make some big data guzzling mistake.

I think I am learning, I read on an android website that I if I hold down the power button and choose 'data network deactivated' it won't use data unless I want it to when I connect to the internet & stuff.

Kc560, yes I all of those on my phone when I turned it on for the first time along with lots others.

I have two more questions if anyone does not mind helping?

1. Should I get an anti virus app, didn't think I needed this on a phone until I saw it when I was looking through apps?

2. Can anyone recommend a good app for profiles? What I mean is on my old phone I could select 'loud' 'general' etc and personalise what tones I wanted for each but I read the smartphone does not have this (after an hour of looking for them ha).:o
    If I download one of these apps does it constantly use data then too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

You probably won't use up 500MBs between home and work unless you're on Facebook every second between those places and downloading music in the background.

If you have Android version 4.0 (ICS) on it, that has a built in Data Usage monitor, so you can cap the usage at 500 if you need to.
    eQiH8.jpg

Anti virus isn't really needed, just don't install dodgy apps from the Play Store.

Llama is awesome for profiles, takes a bit to set it up though:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kebab.Llama&hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭swanangel

Thanks!

I would be lost without this help! :D

Last question where do I look to find out if I have Android version 4.0 (ICS) on it and if I don't have it how do I get it? I think that is the Ice cream sandwich thing I hear about am I right?

I'm not sure how to stay away from dodgy apps but I will try just reading the reviews I imagine it may say it there and will defo have a shot of the Llama thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Yep, Android version can be found in Settings, About phone.
    If you don't have 4.0 your network might have the update available through Samsung Kies, but it's not great software, there's also custom ROMs if you're the adventurous type, you use a program called Odin to install them.

Advertisement