Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just one cigarette?

Options
  • 15-05-2012 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

How do, just like to let people know about my experience with a very close call on falling back into the habit. I've been 100% off smokes since December now and going fine. I realised a couple of months ago that it had worked and I could safely say I would never be a smoker ever again, yay :). Anyway, I was working as an extra in a movie yesterday and one of the scenes had me storming out of a pub with a smoke in my mouth. It's set in the 1800's so had to bite the filter off. I said to myself, 'just light it and walk with it, you'll be fine'. So lit it in my mouth and walked with it but that initial taste that I got, even though it was revolting and foreign to me now kept in my head for a good hours afterwards. Now I've been in smokey rooms over that last while with my mates and never thought anything of it but this was different. All it took was one 'half' puff. Now I'm fine now and in hindsight it wasn't really a big deal but it kinda opened my eyes to how easy it can be to fall back in to it.

Reminds me of a story in December when I quit. I quit on the 9th of December and was going fine. Wasn't avoiding nights out cause I wasn't going to change my routine for cigarettes. Wasn't avoiding the smoking area either, why should I hide away from where my mates were? Anyway, a realisation happened on 26th of December similar to above which I think may hopefully help people. Was out with my mates and my mate asked me if I wanted to go out for a smoke. 'Sure', I said, I just wouldn't smoke but I'd keep him company, no problem there, been doing it for the last 2 weeks. Well when we got out, he handed me a smoke without asking, smoke naturally went to my mouth and he lit it. Without realising, here I was smoking. If he had asked me do I want one I'd have said no but here I was anyway.

Hated the taste, found it sickening if I'm honest. So much so, that I threw it away after 2 drags and laughed to myself about it. A few hours later I was back at a party with my mates having beers. everyone was smoking and I leaned over and asked my mate for one. No idea why to be honest, it seems so ridiculous now. I honestly can't give a reason why. Smoked the whole thing, found it absolutely revolting, so much so had to leave the room and get some water and cough some of it up. Smiled to myself again saying I was now officially a non smoker, no way I would ever touch one again after this.

A few hours later, I was heading up to the offo for drinks (it was a long night ;)) and I was thinking about what I was going to get and I said to myself, 'sure just get a pack for today and that'll be it'. It stopped me in my tracks right there. Here was a product that I had had 1.5 units of, consciously stated my absolute disgust for and here I was willing to buy 20?!? Scared the shít out of me but enlightened me about the hazards of that one last 'puff'.

So let that be a lesson to everyone giving up. Admittedly, it can be easy even fun to give up but always remember, it can be just as easy to fall back in. In the words of Obi Wan Kenobi approaching Mos Eisley Spaceport, "We must be cautious":pac:

Advertisement