Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tattoos on a woman

Options
  • 14-05-2012 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Ok so i have a hideous tattoo, which is on my upper arm :mad: i would really like to get it covered with something else... its writing, not too big thank god!!!!

Also has anyone had a tattoo covered??
    Or would i be best off getting makeup to cover it?

thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

You need to chop your arm off. It's the only way to permanently remove a tattoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

There is a Tattoos & Piercings forum in Arts you are better off asking them and see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

From AH

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭berrycherry

Thanks guys :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Ok so i have a hideous tattoo, which is on my upper arm :mad: i would really like to get it covered with something else... its writing, not too big thank god!!!!

Also has anyone had a tattoo covered??
    Or would i be best off getting makeup to cover it?

thanks in advance :)

Might I suggest (and not trying to be clever - honestly) that you might find help thru Google?

Try: https://www.google.ie/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=how+do+i+hide+a+tattoo&oq=how+do+I+hide+a+t&aq=2&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_l=hp.1.2.0l4.12007.24237.0.27256.21.12.3.6.6.0.496.2046.1j9j4-2.12.0...0.0.om5t8kACtIE&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=1770c6232f6a2377&biw=1440&bih=785

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Haven't had anything covered but with make up you have to consider the costs of the product, how often you will have to replace the product and the practice you'll have to put in to make the cover-up work look decent and not like you've slapped some stuff on it. I've a relation who uses cover make up and they still have issues getting the stuff to work well enough. Fortunately it is on her leg and that is easy to cover but the upper arm is often more visible.

If you get a cover tattoo make sure it is with someone who will do a good job and that it is something you really want. Not sure about getting it removed but is it something you thought of or considered? Be easier to removed a bit of text than a larger cover up piece.

Biggins wrote: »

Thanks but I've been on Google and Google images... its all mainly flowers and butterflys! Don't want something like that. Plus because its writing a lot of stuff just I've seen won't cover it, and anything that would seems manly :eek:

Hi maldesu. Yes been thinking for a while about getting it removed, but just recently been thinking of getting a cover up instead :)
    i suppose i should really go into a shop and have a consultation to see what my options are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

If your only issue was that you didn't like the text but still liked the idea of a tattoo on the location then go for a consult. Get them to suggest something. Go through a book and find a design you like and give it to them, see if it can be adjusted to cover the text. One off payment for something you like.

Cover make up can vary in cost, but you usually need a primer, 2 colours and sometimes a setting agent. Even if each was €20 x 4 you'd be looking at €80 and most you'd get would be a 100 mls or something. How often would you use it and how well could add up very quickly.

Maldesu wrote: »
    If your only issue was that you didn't like the text but still liked the idea of a tattoo on the location then go for a consult. Get them to suggest something. Go through a book and find a design you like and give it to them, see if it can be adjusted to cover the text. One off payment for something you like.

Cover make up can vary in cost, but you usually need a primer, 2 colours and sometimes a setting agent. Even if each was €20 x 4 you'd be looking at €80 and most you'd get would be a 100 mls or something. How often would you
    use it and how well could add up very quickly.

yeah definitely wouldn't mind the RIGHT tattoo on my arm... but makeup would only be used on nights out and special occasions!
    Would really be gutted tho if i ended up with another hideous or badly done even larger one on my arm :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

right, c'mere to me while I tell you:

I am a tattoo artist, who can't be suspected of trying to drum up business now that I am out of the country. So I am happy to give my opinions a little more freely one here now. And I am mad talkative.

Have an online consult.

Show me. What is it you have?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

yeah definitely wouldn't mind the RIGHT tattoo on my arm... but makeup would only be used on nights out and special occasions!
    Would really be gutted tho if i ended up with another hideous or badly done even larger one on my arm :eek:

Definitely go and talk to some artists (take Ms. Rippers offer too, from someone who knows :cool:) about some ideas about getting it covered up or reworked into something you'd prefer. There's a lot of talent out there these days!

Would love to but I'm on my phone... and haven't a clue how to upload a pic :o

Email address?? I could send a pic too?? :)

Email me

I'll lash the picture up in this thread and do it here, if you are ok with that?

We are always telling people they should go talk with an artist. It might be nice for people to see how it works...

Ok email sent :)

i got nothing...

i got nothing...

I'll send again

Right I've added a picture to my account here and only contacts can see it so I've sent you a request :)

I see it.

Its not a massively difficult cover. If it were not there at all, what would be the tattoo that was there? Don't think about the cover at all - blank canvas, what would be your ideal?

• Advertisement

I see it.

Its not a massively difficult cover. If it were not there at all, what would be the tattoo that was there? Don't think about the cover at all - blank canvas, what would be your ideal?

Am.... something girly. Like a trail of stars that are all connected by lines and smaller stars... almost like half a sleeve but with a lot of undone gaps throughout if that makes sense??

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'll lash the picture up in this thread and do it here, if you are ok with that?

We are always telling people they should go talk with an artist. It might be nice for people to see how it works...

I've taken your email out now that you got the pic so you don't get spammed out of it! Thanks helping the OP with this :)

Am.... something girly. Like a trail of stars that are all connected by lines and smaller stars... almost like half a sleeve but with a lot of undone gaps throughout if that makes sense??

it does, but unfortunately the spread-out placement of the existing dark areas, although small, would undermine the strength of that kind of design when used as a cover up. Fillgree and star pieces look best when the focus is on flow, when used in a cover up the existing tattoo dictates the position of elements nd the flow is lost.

that said, it can work with very specific approaches to "swirly", but they would need to be quite complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

I had a cover up done before. It's amazing what can be done with a good artist. I wouldn't think that writing would be a huge deal.
    I did allow the tattoo artist to have a lot of input, I kind of gave a genre and he came up with some ideas of what could be done.

It wouldn't be hard to cover, but a cover made of stars and swirls would be awfully close to ringing and pointing out where the cover is, if you get me?

It doesn't have to be stars... I'm open to options! As said above i would let the artist have a lot of input. But i would definitely like something that flows...

I'm very open to suggestions?? ;)

Something in color that is either large enough to encompass the whole cover itself or also has background to do so.

Flowers, animals, an object etc...

Really like fairy tattoos... but would it look right on my upper arm?

flowers sound ok, but not a rose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I got a 'cover up' done a few years ago,the artist could he design the 'cover up' and pick all colours himself.

Delighted with the result, I didnt have to think.

Advertisement