Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Cardiologist to be interviewed about his e-cigarette study

• 14-05-2012 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

I think this could be interesting............ Only thing - what time is 9.30 EST in Irish time?

http://blog.casaa.org/2012/05/cardiologist-to-be-interviewed-about.html

This Wednesday, May 16th at 9:30pm EST, Dr. Konstantinos Farsalinos, a cardiologist at Onassis Cardiac Surgery Center, will appear on "The Vape Team" internet show to discuss his study, "Smoking and vaping effects on cardiac function and coronary flow."

The study was presented at the EuroPRevent 2012 in Dublin Ireland, which is an annual conference aimed to reduce the burden of cardiovascular disease in Europe. The broadcast is open to public questions and a recorded replay will be posted after the show.

Watch the show here: http://vapeteam.com

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

around 2.30am i think

oh, no 3.30am

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭achieve

Flip that - I'm not staying up late or getting up early to watch. But I'm sure it will be available to watch after the "live" showing. I'm assuming this is going to have a positive spin from a vaping / e-cig perspective, given that I saw this on the CASAA FB page. Also interesting that the talk happened in Dublin.

aye, ill watch it in a few days probably

tbh I think nicotine does have pretty pronounced effects on blood pressure so I doubt he'll be promoting vaping, but as a smoking alternative maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Just about to go live now, for anyone still awake (you poor souls.)

wont be able to watch it till monday unfortunately.
    hopefully it's kinda interesting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Yeah, I'm the same. Should be interesting. Probably say it's not good but better than smoking. Seems to be the general consensus anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Was basically a compendium of all previous research done with a few tests of his own thrown in.
    Paraphrasal of the doctor:
    "A lot of people say it's healthy, but it's not perfectly healthy, the only thing that's perfectly healthy to inhale is unpolluted air, but it's by far healthier than cigarettes, and most probably healthier than the air in a large city."
    Very interesting figures for nicotine intake, how it metabolises, and it's half-life. Very positive appraisal overall.
    He basically accuses the FDA of unscrupulously, irresponsibly choosing money over the lives of people by falsely representing their own research.
    Pbusardo was in the chatroom, and predictably enough, he's sound out.

watching it now

the slide on nicotine absorption is pretty interesting

**** all difference between a quick vape and holding it deeply into the lungs w/ vaping apparently
    and the differences between cigarette and vaping 16mg is crazy

around 1h17m

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

That was brilliant listening to a credible source of information and opinions.

I like the way he emphasised the importance in regulation of liquids, i'd like to think the likes of Inawera where some of us get juice from is produced in a controlled environment using safe ingredients and not a crowd in a shed mixing a heap of stuff, setting up shop and selling it which is probably happening all over the world.

1400 views on YouTube is not going to create the publicity badly needed regarding electronic cigarettes and something needs to be done about generating awareness.

Hopefully this man can help the cause within the medical community but they are up against the mighty dollar unfortunately.

someone needs to go through it and chop up the relevant/important bits

you are never going to get a majority of people to watch a 3 hour video like that

• Advertisement

It's well worth watching all the way through, he points out the positive and negative aspects of vaping.
    There has to be a credible voice(s) in the vaping world, and a cardioligist with his background is a good start imo.
    Was it just me or did he remind you of James Belushi a bit to look at!

Would like to see it summarised too, positive and negative points.

rofl @ belushi.. yeah a little bit

I'd actually rather he wasn't a vaper tbh. as cool and all as that is, it would mean more to neutrals if he was 100% neutral as well. Although I did smile when he said he was a smoker when he started his research and after viewing the results of his tests on vapers he bought an ecig :D

But is'nt that a great example ? A smoking cardiologist doing a survey on eCigs and he converts over during his findings.

He uses a 18650 Lavatube and a mini one, did'nt see him vape during it mind ya.

yeah but scientists are supposed to be neutral outside observers :)

it's a tiny tiny niggle, it's less annoying than the fact that he is a vaper is awesome.

itd be cool if someone did a writeup of the talk with the different slides and stuff, be a lot quicker reading through it than it would to watch it all again. I'll have a look next week and see if anyones done that, or if the slides and stuff are available online

yeah but scientists are supposed to be neutral outside observers :)

it's a tiny tiny niggle, it's less annoying than the fact that he is a vaper is awesome.

itd be cool if someone did a writeup of the talk with the different slides and stuff, be a lot quicker reading through it than it would to watch it all again. I'll have a look next week and see if anyones done that, or if the slides and stuff are available online

Whatever way ya look at it, both sides of the argument will come from findings by scientists etc, we need the likes of him to present our case.

This is not only about getting people to try electronic cigarettes, it's the possibilty of them being banned which he seems worried about and is already happening in certain countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭newmark

derra wrote: »
    Whatever way ya look at it, both sides of the argument will come from findings by scientists etc, we need the likes of him to present our case.

This is not only about getting people to try electronic cigarettes, it's the possibilty of them being banned which he seems worried about and is already happening in certain countries.

Exactly, a ban is our worst nightmare and something the tobacco firms would love to see, so the more of this type of reporting and analysis we have the better the chances of vaping being accepted and regulated as a good harm reduction system.

The feeling I get from my limited knowledge and what I have read since I started vaping is that tobacco firms have governments & politicians in their pockets and they will do everything in their power to put a negative spin on vaping due to their loss of turnover from people switching to vaping from smoking.

I am all for regulation and all that but I just hope they see in the end that this is a way for people that can't give up cigarettes by any other means to at least limit the harm they do by vaping instead. I am a prime example of vaping being of benefit as are most of us here who vape. I feel 100 times better vaping than I did smoking and I couldn't get off the cigarettes even though I tried for many years and never lasted longer than a few days. I'm now 3 1/2 months or something off them and even though still addicted to nicotine at least I don't have to spend €9.10 on 20 cigarettes twice a day for something that is legally sold and full of cancer causing carcinogens, money that ends up in tobacco companies fat face pockets and lining the governments coffers with money to waste to fatten up retired politicians pockets....Rant over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

newmark wrote: »
    something the tobacco firms would love to see,

Not so sure on this one...they are trying to get in on the act too, Nicoventures is an ecig company setup by British American Tobacco.
    Difference is these guys have the wallet behind them to try and get their product regulated. If they do this, they might then use their muscle to try and force regulation of the market, rather than a ban. This would be too much for regular ecig companies, as they won't have the money to get their products regulated.

Advertisement