Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BVD!

Options
  • 14-05-2012 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Just a few quick questions about BVD..

In a BVD leaflet it says that the second step in the BVD programme is 'herd level screen tests and classification of herd'.. How is this done?? i presume its a test over the whole herd but then it says if there is a PI found that individual animals are to be tested? Whats the difference between a herd level test and individual animal tests??

Also how is a BVD test carried out?

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

a bvd test can be carried out by blood test or by the ear notch test, dont know the answer to your other question

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭roran

Just a few quick questions about BVD..

In a BVD leaflet it says that the second step in the BVD programme is 'herd level screen tests and classification of herd'.. How is this done?? i presume its a test over the whole herd but then it says if there is a PI found that individual animals are to be tested? Whats the difference between a herd level test and individual animal tests??

Also how is a BVD test carried out?

Cheers!

I was hoping that maybe a vet would have answered this one, but I spoke to 'the brother', who is not a vet, but has some info on this and my understanding of what he says, goes along these lines....
    there is a general pooling of samples from a herd, maybe 35-50 samples and these are tested as though 1 sample for BVD (both PI or TI) types (herd level). I think p c r is this test.
    If this test is positive, then another test is carried out on all individual samples from 'positive' pool for BVD PI specific animals (so this test will let you know if any animal is PI positive).
    That is the theory (somewhat)...and we all know about theories...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

roran wrote: »
    I was hoping that maybe a vet would have answered this one,
    sorry to disappoint you:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

In a BVD leaflet it says that the second step in the BVD programme is 'herd level screen tests and classification of herd'.. How is this done??

This recently published document from AHI should go some way to answering the questions.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Advertisement